Starting a little CMOS synth build

This little thing is giving me trouble.

First, those wires weren’t working out. I used reclaimed Ethernet wires, which I saw people recommend for synth stuff, but they connected poorly. I’m probably either stripping them wrong, or tinning and soldering them wrong. Either way, I went with solid core wire.

I tested the circuit and…

It’s not supposed to do that. It doesn’t do that on a real breadboard! It works as expected once I connect all the 40106’s inputs to the ground except for one, so I have a good hunch what’s the problem, but it’s really awkward to poke the circuit like this, so I’m focusing on finishing the enclosure. Once it’s mounted properly, it will easier to study what it’s up to.

So, for the enclosure, I’d like to have an array of those, as I mentioned in the first post, and this is the system I’m considering:

I’m thinking of adding M3 heat set inserts to the feet, and adding a bottom surface to the holding rings with holes suitable for countersunk screw, to be able to make a small grid of these.

I’m still very new to using FreeCad, but I’m trying to do it right, fully parametric.

(Side-note about FreeCad: three days ago, in another thread, I posted this:

And since then, just yesterday, Autodesk just announced that they are removing the ability to run local simulations from Fusion 360 — now they HAVE to run in the cloud, because screw you. And they’re pay-per use. As in, $3 per use, buy in bundles of 500 use tokens.

Yup, I will continue learning FreeCad instead of the more powerful hobbyist option.)

I picked a 60mm grid size, since that will let me use PCBs up to 100x100, the cheaper option from PCB fabs. Not that I actually know how to design a PCB yet, haha.

I’m trying to add some notes and comments to the files I create for this project, but whether I’ll share any bits of of this stuff or not will depend on the quality of the end results (and interest in it). I’m just making it for myself for now.

We’ll see how the test prints turn out!

4 Likes