SMD resistor series & which can I sub for ERJ-xE?

I’m building the Mutable Instruments Elements and trying to get parts ordered. I’m trying to buy everything from a single supplier. Both Digikey and Mouser are out of stock on 33ohm SMD resistors in the ERJ-xE series. My questions are, can I sub with a different series? If so, which one?

Secondly, is it possible to substitute the ERJ-3RED or ERJ-3RBD series for ERJ-xE resistors? I have several left over from previous builds which is why I’m asking. Wondering if I can use those up or not.

I just don’t want to choose incorrectly and wonder why it doesn’t work after I’ve built it.

I think fredrik’s reply to your similar question in April answers this one too.

Also, I look on Mouser for 33 ohms, ERJ-xE, and I find 3 entries of which two are in stock: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ERJ-6ENF33R0V?qs=50QC8w71jAtDItwiTe6iYQ%3D%3D and https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ERJ-8ENF33R0V?qs=8%2BG0TiN%2FgVpb1yH%2F8k6uQg%3D%3D (0805 and 1206). Did you need 0603? That one is out of stock. So see fredrik’s answer.

Note on Mouser you can click the check box next to a listing for two or more parts and then hit the compare button to get a side by side listing of specifications.

ERJ-3R is rated for 50V vs 75V and lower temperature range, both of which presumably don’t matter, and is 0.5% tolerance vs. 1%, so is better in that regard.

2 Likes

Thanks Rich. Yes, I need 0603.
I asked about this series of resistors in particular because in Fredrik’s answer to my other (similar) question I understood it to mean (essentially) that using a different series of resistor mostly depends on how the resistor is used in the circuit since each series has different properties.

I wasn’t sure if the Elements circuit would allow me to change to a different series since he had looked at the other circuit? I think if I understood how the resistors were used in the circuit I could answer my own question. I’m just not there yet.

If my understanding is not correct please tell me. BTW…I didn’t see that checkbox option for comparisons so that’s great to have instead of me going back and forth on two different tabs. Thanks.

This was his answer to that question.

2 Likes

Do you now understand that the ERJ-xE has worse specs only for things that don’t matter (temperature and voltage limits, neither of which will be approached) and better specs for tolerance? So it’d be fine.

1 Like

So tolerance works in reverse of how I would think it would. The lower the tolerance the better the specs? So the Elements BOM calls for 1% resistors, but because the ERJ-3RED has a lower tolerance of .5% then it’s okay to swap series. Is that correct? If the series had a tolerance of 5% then it would not be okay as the tolerance would be too high, yes?

1 Like

5% is worse than 1% which is worse than 0.5%, yes. Whether that matters or not depends on what the resistor’s used for, but lower values are better so you can always sub for a smaller tolerance.

1% means resistance will be within 1% of the claimed value, 0.5% means it’ll be within 0.5%, etc.

3 Likes

Understood. Thank you for taking the time to explain this.

5 Likes