Simple 1v/oct oscillator resistor questions

Hey, I’m just here to ask a couple of questions about the 3340 oscillator, specifically when sam says that “any resistor will do” in the parts list. to what degree is that statement true? I have a bunch of resistors but a lot of them aren’t the exact values that he has listed on the schematic. How much of a liability is this?

2 Likes

well that depend entirely on which resistor you plan to swap with which value, so we’ll need some more info to answer that question.

But, if you’re diving into DIY electronics, you’re gonna go through a lot of resistors of basically all values. So it’s totally worth it to just grab a big pack of assorted values and keep them on hand. Honestly, the 1 cent each they cost isn’t worth checking whether every other resistor can be swapped.

6 Likes

As long as you stay within 10-15% of what was originally planned, it should produce some sounds.
But if you use 100k instead of 10k well, that might not be the same story.

3 Likes

With more context, he says “just a metal film resistor, but tbh! any will do!” So I’m pretty sure that means any kind of resistor (metal film, carbon film, 1/8 watt, 1/4 watt…) not any value of resistance. Generally you should stick with or at least pretty close to the recommended resistance values. Some will be less critical than others, it depends.

7 Likes

First off, I just want to say this is one of the best experiences with a forum I’ve ever had, so thanks all of you. Secondly, thanks for the elaboration, I think I’m going to just keep buying a bunch of resistors and I’ll see where that gets me.

11 Likes

You’ll fit in well here.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

4 Likes

This forum is my favorite on the internet. Really wise and creative community, I’ve learned everything from this place. It feels like the “old internet”, if anybody else knows what I mean. Love you guys.

10 Likes

And welcome to the forums! :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, like the old modwiggler forums minus the hatred

3 Likes

you can buy a large multi pack of resistors for about $15 u.s. [ e-bay , amazon etc. ] this will give you a good starting point to a wide selection of values then as you build more just buy the ones you use the most .

4 Likes

And I suggest you buy a multi value pack of ceramic and/or polystyrene capacitors too. Very cheap.

4 Likes