Simple VC Clock - How?!

I simply need a simple voltage controlled clock for Thomas Henrys SuperSequencer. It’s a 2-by-16 step one where the second row of potentiometers can control the clock that makes the sequencer tick, thus making it possible to have individual step lengths :sunglasses:.

A 555 or even a 566 (I think it’s named) could be used or even a, but is there a reliable schematic out there.

Vin: 0 - 12V
Vclock: 10-12V
Freq: 0.5 - 5 Hz, maybe even 0.1 - 10Hz.

And just a clock …

A clock is basically just a squarewave LFO, there are lots of those about.

5 Likes

But not so many voltage controlled LFOs, and the ones that are I think tend to be rather more featureful than is needed for a clock.

A simple Nano based clock like the one discussed here would work, and CV control would not be much harder than potentiometer control.

3 Likes

THomas Henry suggested a pretty advanced VCLFO, based on a CEM3340, to work with the sequencer and that’s way too complicated.

Unfortunately somethings very wrong with my PC as it cannot communicate with the arduinos, else a simple ATtiny85 would be perfect, but I have a major project getting the computer back to “normal”.

Anyhow, at least I can try some ideas on my experiment board and I know one thing for real, I get so confused as I expect a “free flowing voltage” I must try to catch and use, where as most simple schematics of VOLTIGE CONTROL oscillators have a potentiometer instead. But HEY! my sequencer also has potentiometers …

Here’s the sequencer: Sepersequencer

If you used some clone, you need to download something (i don’t remember the name :slight_smile: ) and after all is cool.

It’s somewhere in the forum but i don’t find it, i think that someone can tell you this better.

My PC is all … brainwrecked. Has to do with the USB-ports that are and aren’t working bu sometimes and sometimes not working …
A major update is planned…

It’s so odd, here I have been building loads of odules and stuff from all over the world, one project more complicated than another and then … BOOM!!! … I got stuck on the simplest of simple things.
However I will start right HERE: http://learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Voltage-controlled-oscillator-VCO-circuit-with-a-555-timer.php

I have also been fiddling with Vactrols; got some packages from Chian. Vactrols are perfect for converting current/voltage to resistance/current/voltage.

2 Likes

I had this problem with my laptop in the shop, it was an absolute nightmare as it would connect to the 3d printer, start a print, then disconnect halfway through. I reinstalled Windows onto a new SSD and everything worked perfectly. For Arduino clones, the CH340 driver is the one you want.

2 Likes

There were a Swede who a few years ago sold preprogrammed chips (ATtiny or the other brand) with useful functions like LFOs, ADSRs and more.

I found this one: https://electricdruid.net/product/vclfo-10/, but again, this is so … simple. I’ll be back with a report a little later, after coffee and assembling my speaker box.

1 Like

The most common and fundamental issue with any usb connection is power. Sources, be it pc or some other unit vary in their ability to maintain or provide enough. I solved most of the usb issues I’ve ever had by using a good quality usb hub with it’s own dedicated power supply.

4 Likes

Shawt repawt:

Hooked up a 7555 according to “learningaboutelectronic” article, and tried various values of the R (33K) and C (10nF). However a bigger C did cause the oscillator to stop, so I went for a 22nF cap and a 47K resistor and then connected the 7555 to a CD4014 (Q6 output). That gives a decent rate though I get approx. a 1:6 frequency response, but that can almost be acceptable.

1 Like

This just popped up…

2 Likes

We’re sitting in the same boat, brother… (*)

I snag you design as I also need clocks for various modules in my synth-to-be. There’s no voltage control, but you definitely solved another of my problems.

(*) DIY/HiFi-meeting in Gothenburg yesterday. Hade prepared a 2.1-system with cast concrete left/right speakers and a big sub. Planned to use a Chinese 2.1 amplifier, but when testing it the evening before I found out that the Chinese possibly had solder the amp using no solder …

1 Like

If you want an analog rather than digital vc LFO, you should check out a number of hte old posts on electro-music.com. Its not very busy these days but that is where I learnt most of my stuff.

eg, this, by Nicholas Collins himself:

https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-32689.html

I’d also look for the super simple 40106 based VCOs eg by a japanese guy whose name I’ve forgotton, or rene schmitz’s 4069 VCO, both of which use basically the same transistor pair voltage control input techniques.

then its just a question of getting the right Capacitor to make it an LFO instead of a VCO, because, really, they’re the same thing, just different rates…

1 Like

I have zoomed in the zuper zimple VZO already - THANKS!
And as I have to wire up a simple filter for my concrete speaker, I can as well wire the simple VCOs. Got enuff of vero board.

1 Like

Would love to know more about your concrete speakers in the thread here :slight_smile:

1 Like