SIDE CHAIN MODULE (Ducking)

A very simple module but it seems to be effective.

and i made a stripboard of it (not yet verified :slight_smile: )

11 Likes

What is the benefit over just using an inverted envelope on a vca? The page says less noise and distortion compared to vca but that seems like a stretch to me

1 Like

This is usefull to melt audio signal with the kick. Sorry for my english I can not good explain this with good words

2 Likes

I wonder why there are 4 diodes in the 2nd op-amp stage in the bottom of the schematic. In any case the last (connected to the 220R resistor) could be left out. The point where the 3 diodes meet will never get a negative voltage.

1 Like

Pin 10 of the TL074 is the 3IN+, and it seems you have connected the D4 to that. That does not correspond with the drawing at the beginning of this thread. Are you sure you haven’t mixed up pin 9 (3IN-) and 10 (3IN+) ?

[Edit] Never mind, I misread the schematic or the strip board!

1 Like

If you route a negative envelope that is triggered at the same time as your kick drum to your vca or filter cutoff of your bassline you get the exact same effect and with more control of the “duck” duration and intensity

3 Likes

yes but you can also make a kick drum with an vco + vcf+ env,vca , but if you have a kick module you can stay all this stuff for other thing :slight_smile:
that’s why I think it’s good to have this kind of module
but all this is personal

i think it’s good, diode go to pin 10 with 1uf to gnd and also to 220R to decay pot, but i’m tired maybe a mistake i check this tomorrow, thx :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, I see it now. I misread the schematic or the strip board.

1 Like

I built it this afternoon, I just need the 2 10uf power cap to test it.
can I replace them with another value (higher or lower), I have already seen 47uf on certain circuit, but …

You can leave them out for the time being, or use 47 µF. They’re to make things cleaner but they’re not required to make it work.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! :grin: I will need this in my modular system for sure. At first, I was thinking about building a full blown traditional compressor but this seems to do the job just fine!

2 Likes

Hey I have build this sidechain effect on my breadboard (with the schematic from juanito moore) and it work fine with my kick ! Good pumping/ducking effect for techno’s lover ! And the kick can be directly mixed with the second audio source!!

Here an another conception of a ducking filtrer, in this one I think that the kick signal must be independly multiplied into a mixer to do hear it…

3 Likes

The current through it is low enough that it acts like a variable resistor (the voltage drop will vary depending on the potentiometer setting), but not entirely sure that matters here.

2 Likes

great explaintion an dvideo , fantastic outcome and project pat yurself on da back

1 Like

If the 100k Ohm pot is ‘opened’, I think that would be academic.

1 Like

Hey folks,

With my new job I don’t have enough time for DIY, but I was still able to finish building this module… :relieved:

This is my first test with an acrylic panel. (not easy to cut it…)

4 Likes

Nice ! have you test it ? work well ?

2 Likes

hey that was a great video. I really enjoyed it. Good technical info; complete story on the thing. Appreciate it.

2 Likes

I turned this one in to a guitar stompbox this week for some friends who play in a band. First time getting a pcb made and really happy with the results.

9 Likes

really nice !! have you use the schematic of Juanito ??