Repair spring reverb tank

Hey I think I recently broke my reverb tank, I’m not sure how but when I plugged it into my reverb module, it was just making noise and even after recreating the driver module, it has the same issue. I tested the input and output of the tank, its a 8EB2C1B, Medium Decay, 3-Spring that has a 800 ohm input and 2,575 ohm output, but when I measured them, they were way too low. So I’m wondering if there’s a way to repair it, or if it’s easier to just replace it rather than repairing the whole thing?

Did it work earlier or did it never work at all?

I don’t think they will easily break at normal power levels, unless maybe due to physical damage.
The resistance values are impedances at 1khz. Measuring DC resistance will give you lower readings.

You can find a lot of information on reverb tanks and the dc resistances on this website:

I can’t seem to post a link but it’s under the tech articles at the amplifiedparts website

That’s the thing, it did work earlier and it sounded good for the most part, and I couldn’t find any signs of physical damage or wear on it so I’m not sure what exactly is wrong with it. The best way to describe the problem is that I can’t really hear the reverb, there is some noise and crackles in it, and even after remaking the same circuit, it still has the same problem. I even check the rca cables and they seem to be ok. But if measuring DC gives me a lower resistance, what would I measure with?

Impedance measurements are a little bit harder to do, i think you need at least an oscilloscope and signal generator.
You can measure the dc resistance, the dc resistance values are in the document i tried to refer you to.

What reverb driver are you using?

1 Like