Selecting a reverb tank

Hey Everyone,

I would love to have a stab at building a spring reverb. What to look for when selecting a spring reverb tank?

From what I could quickly find, its mostly the dimensions, number of springs and impedance and since I will be building the circuit, it should not be too hard to match the component values with the impedance of the tank, right?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

From here, regarding specifically tanks for the Music Thing spring reverb module:

1. Spring reverb tanks come in many flavours. If you’re buying a new tank for this module, I’d recommend one of these fairly common models: Accutronics 9EB2C1B A big 17” long reverb tank with six springs. Accutronics 8EB2C1B A smaller 10” version with three springs. This is the tank from a Fender Blues Junior amp, so is very common. Other makes with the same number (i.e. MOD 8EB2C1B or Ruby 3EB2C1B) should also work.
  2. …
  3. Beyond this range, you may need to do some research or experimentation. Accutronics/Belton tanks all have a code like 9EB2C1B.
  • The first number doesn’t matter to the circuit (it’s the size).
  • The second code (E) is input impedance: should be B, C, D or E.
  • The third code (B) is output impedance: should only be B.
  • The fourth code (2) is the decay time, the circuit doesn’t care.
  • The fifth code (C) describes the connections, and is important. It must be C = Input Insulated / Output Grounded. This module assumes Red=Output, White=Input. Check your tank carefully. The mini tanks that come with a Doepfer A199 are sometimes coded differently.
  • The sixth & seventh codes (1B) are about locking systems and orientation. The circuit doesnt care.
  1. Choice of spring tank is not absolutely critical. Big long six spring tanks will sound bigger than small tanks, but I’ve found that - at least with my limited selection - it is less important than the other factors in this list. I got pretty good reverb from the tiny plastic-boxed new reverb that Belton are developing. You can use EQ to compensate for the choice of tank to some extent.

From other reading, it seems a shorter decay time is better for vocal music, to keep the lyrics from getting too muddled.

I bought one of these, even though it’ll be a while before I put together a driver for it, because the price seemed good:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192864870942

4 Likes

Thanks a lot!

It turns out the recommended tank can be purchased at this shop in the Netherlands :raised_hands: Accutronics Reverb Can 8EB2C1B - tonefactory.nl

5 Likes

I got one of these myself! Now if I can somehow get Sam to release that module… XD

1 Like

I think we have to face the fact that Sam is, at least for now, out of the modules business. He’s all about vintage tech now, organs and telephone exchanges and uniselectors and 1980s DIY synths.

4 Likes

I think I’ll go off an breadboard this baby. No need to wait :slight_smile: DIY Spring Reverb with feedback for Eurorack - YouTube

1 Like

He showed the latest module he designed in a recent video. It’s a spring verb.

1 Like

Nahhhh. Modular is a thing of the past.

TALKING ORGANS FOREVER

3 Likes

It’s been “real soon now” since January. I’m not holding my breath.

1 Like