Relay questions

Hey, me again.

Not entirely a relay question but relayted to my situation. Here is the circuit im using to open a relay on a gate signal. A “high” gate on the base of the transistor allows the 12v to make its way to ground, switching the relay. The diode is to protect the transistor

My question is what if you want to do the reverse, that is, the relay is normally in a powered state and a ‘high’ gate interrupts power through the coil?

1 Like

Why? You have normally closed and normally open contacts, just use the other one, right?

1 Like

Here is more detailed to where I’m stuck. The relay controls whether the mixer is in stereo mode or mono mode. So I’m already using both the NO and NC pins

With no gate the left and right carry on to the outputs. When gate applied they get mixed together to a mono signal.

I want to add a switch that reverses the behavior

I suppose I could add another relay after the switch with the opposite pin out on the NC/NO, I just figured there had to be a more elegant way to invert a gate

2 Likes

Could I just add a “not gate” circuit?

Just found this:

2 Likes

something like this maybe with a DPDT

or like this?

Edit: ^^^^ that last one does the trick

2 Likes

What’s “GATE in”? Any random thing, or something you control?

Any cv or gate source, end effect is on/off or off/on. not sure the exact voltage the transistor needs to switch but it’s low

I think your overthinking,

If your going to add a DPDT…

Then just switch the inputs to the relay. No Need for any extra else than the switch…

1 Like

Im not trying to swap left and right, I’m trying to go stereo to mono or mono to stereo depending on the state of the switch

That is, L and R channels or it pushes L AND R thru both outputs

1 Like

Can do it with just a switch, but it needs to be a 4PDT, I think:

1 Like

You may probably leave out the R (R2) to GND. Just make sure that the transistor can switch the amount of current the relay needs (check the specs of the transistor).

1 Like

I like this! Just need to get some 4P’s!

Put a diode in series on the gate input from the transistor base to ground. You don’t want negative voltages taking out your transistor.

3 Likes

That’s funny, I was absolutely bombarding it with bipolar lfo on my breadboard for a couple hours the other day to see if I was going to burn out the relay, didn’t think about the transistor! that is probably a good call!

Diode not in series but to ground, rather. After the series resistor.

This is one of those things from this article:

(the first one of those things, in fact)

3 Likes

Or so ?

2 Likes

Nice idea!
But more like this I think:

4 Likes

Hi all,
I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but I have been getting inspired by LMNC’s relay videos and considering experimenting with them myself - unfortunately I have no idea what relays to buy, or which ones he is using. I’d like to be able to switch modular audio/CV level signals using an Arduino (using 5 volt or even 3.3 volt logic levels), with as little distortion as possible. I want to be able to switch destinations, not just on/off (I think that would be double pole?). I don’t mind much if there are clicks when switching, as long as the signal is fairly clean when switched. Does anyone have a good product recommendation from Mouser, Tayda, or Jameco?
These are some of the products I’m thinking might be in the ballpark:

1 Like

The 1A is plenttty big enough. I got some of the micro sized blue colored 2poles from tayda, 5v and 9v—they are nearly silent, which is good or bad depending on what you want. The black ones from tayda are bigger and louder. The voltage listed is the voltage required to trigger/switch the relay

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, CTorp!
So just to make sure, you’ve tried these babies and they should be enough to do the job?

I’m just double checking 'cause I’m probably gonna need like $20 worth and don’t want to buy twice, hah,

1 Like