RC Low pass filter not working

it seems to be a common occurrence that I don’t know what I am doing,
I tried making the filter from the “Build a simple DIY passive electronic low pass filter” video and all it has done is made my signal really low volume and when I move the pot it does nothing, I have tried every combination of places that the 100 nf capacitor could be and none seem to work however the volume is only lowered on the one following the diagram.
if anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

photo for reference
blue = Hot
Green = ground

1 Like

what signal do you use in ?

It looks correct, assuming the right connections to the jack terminals.

Is it a 10k potentiometer?

Check connections. I think you said in another thread you did not have a multimeter. You should get one. If you were in the US I’d say go to Harbor Freight and you can get an adequate one for under $10, I don’t know about where you are.

There might be something helpful here:

And by the way, no big deal but around here we prefer to add to an old thread about a topic like this, if you can find one (using the search facility), over starting a new one. It’s easier for someone looking for information to find it all in one place that way.

3 Likes

yeah its a b10k pot i looked at the diagram attached and it seemed heaps different to what i had before but i did it and it kinda worked on and off going really quiet but the filter was working, it was heaps mesy so i re did it all and now its a clean signal but im getting no filtering.

Ill make sure to add on to an existing thread next time :slight_smile: image

2 Likes

i have it working now it is just not as loud any thoughts?

buffer it to remove loading effects or couple it to remove DC bias

That’s a common characteristic of passive filters. As your adjusting the pot, you’re not only adjust the cutoff, but also the output impedance. You’ll need an active circuit to overcome this.

4 Likes

ok great that’s reassuring to know that I didn’t mess it up all working now :slight_smile:

2 Likes