Raspberry pi tone pot help

Hey I recently built two raspberry pi 3 sampler box and it works great and went the extra mile to make both of them have their own volume potentiometers and a master volume and tone control. But the problem is that the volumes work fine, but the tone pot does not seem to work or control anything. I’m going off a basic guitar wiring which works fine for volume, but again does not affect the tone. I have included a rough wiring diagram of what it looks like, so I’m not sure if its the wiring, the capacitor (which I’m not sure if it works or the value), or just the fact it’s a digital stereo signal from both raspberry pis being combined. Any ideas?

Thank you so much for the help! And again sorry for the rough schematic, not too good at making them. So basically just wired the signal from the raspberry pi to the right terminal of the tone pot and then the middle terminal to the left of the volume pot right?

1 Like

Well I did do the wiring you suggested and a few other alternate wirings and what I get is that the tone would become like a volume control and the other wouldn’t change anything, the volume would change, or it wouldn’t really change anything at all. Am I doing something wrong or should I change a component/wiring?

Might’ve given you bad advice, I deleted my post in case it was completely wrong.

This might give you some ideas:

I had a hard time understanding the diagram until I realized the short terminal on each pot is supposed to be regarded as connecting to ground.

BUT I also had a hard time understanding how they worked until I realized I was not considering output impedance of the pickup, which is high. Synth modules have low output impedance, and I would assume so does a Rasp Pi.

So that I think gives you the answer — you need some series resistor between the Pi and the volume control. Try maybe 10k?

Like wire a resistor between the tone pot and the volume? Which terminals and should I keep the wiring relatively the same?

No, between the Pi and the volume pot.