Random Thoughts and Questions

If its worth talking about, its worth a new topic. Dont just think about the current conversation but lurkers and other future people trying to look for help.

We arnt strict here, but we should try and stay on topic for the good of others that may read this. We are already getting a bunch of traffic from other sites pointing here.

2 Likes

My main PC interface comprises of a USB 3 hub. A 4 way usb MIDI interface, some cheap USB to MIDI singles for some older solo gear like my EWI. I also have a couple of focusrite 2i2 for audio and the MIDI to cv is a midimuso I bought as a kit but to be honest if you can program a pic the schematic is a doddle.

All this mess is lumped (bound) together in ableton and presonus studio one as a single interface with 9 independent MIDI controllers and 8 audio in plus 3 separate audio outs and 3 live fx loops.

4 Likes

is there a thread for other hobbies / interests ?

I found some 105LM relay 5V in one of my boxes, i think to use it to trigger my old furby bending with modular CV
But someone know what the max current this relay can support to be trigger (5V or it have a margin ?)
because some CV can go sometime until 10V.

Hi guys, is there a section on the forum where we can post “work in progress” schematics to get some help from people interested ?
I’m working on my fist kicad schematic and not sure if creating a new post would be the right thing to do.
thanks

I’d say start a new topic with a title describing what it is you’re working on. Like “Voltage controlled wave folder” or whatever. Then you can continue that discussion past the schematics stage to the PCB layout, prototyping, troubleshooting, final result.

3 Likes

if you post a schematic please be sure to label somewhere on it " unverified " if you haven’t tested it and proven it works . just so no one tries to use it and has problems , just a courtesy . thank you

3 Likes

Apologies, responded to an old post.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but it’s the closest I could find to what I have a question for.

I am in the process of building a Pro co Rat pedal clone. I’m following this schematic:

I have followed this really closely the only change is the 1.5k resister in the tone part is a 1k resister because I had none. I have found that there is a high pitched wine from the power section of the circuit, when I take out the 100uF cap the Wine is a lot louder, I put it back in but it’s never at a level where I can’t hear it.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and how to get it sounding better?

Attached is a photo of the pedal on protoboard

See:

2 Likes

I had a quick look at the schematic - the power section looks entirely passive to me - so I don’t think it would be adding any noise. What are you using to power it, some kind of transformer based wall wart or a small switch mode thing?

3 Likes

9v guitar pedal wallwart

I just changed to a 9v battery and it’s gone! Hahaha well I guess that’s fixed?

1 Like

Rats are pretty high gain, so any noise that goes in tends to get amplified a lot - the kit version I have tends to whine a little when its cranked - but I put it through a VCA or a gate and then you don’t really notice it when it’s actually got sounds going through it.

5 Likes

Happy new years. I committed my first foul of the year by soldering a 10x2 socket on the wrong side of the logic board (synthrotek roboto).
Before I attempt to desolder and make a mess does anyone have trick in there pocket to avoid this. I tried a 6” ribbon cable to snake around the backside but the pinouts are flipped. Id even go as far as connecting individual female to male jumpers in between boards to avoid the inevitable.

If it were me I’d use pliers to pull the plastic part of the header off, then unsolder the pins one at a time.

3 Likes

That certainly looks better than my approach and going into my front pocket for this weekend.
Thanks for the “output” lol :+1: