Problem with the EG

Hey all.

I built Sams simple EG, im preety sure it work for a bit and then i left it for a while i i got this weird thing that the LED seems to respose correctly to the AR that is set. but the actual signal is just on/off no matter how long is set the AR to be.
I tried to change the tl072 but its the same.
And idea what can it be? Thanks.

I hear a change in the tone when you press the button. Not a big change, and I’m not sure what effect you were expecting, but there is some change so there is a change in the EG output signal. Anyway, the LED is driven by the same voltage as is sent to the output so there’s definitely something there.

If the filter cutoff frequency is set higher than the oscillator frequency, and the oscillator waveform is a sine or triangle wave, then using the EG to modulate that cutoff won’t produce a big change in the filter output. If on the other hand the cutoff is a little below the oscillator frequency then the EG could push it from cutting off everything to cutting off almost nothing. Or if the waveform is a square or ramp wave, then the effect of modulating a high cutoff on the higher harmonics will be more pronounced.

Do you have a VCA? The effect of the envelope on that should be pretty big.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for replying, there is a change in tone like you said, but it is very steep, its like that attack and relese are set to the minimun no matter what. but at the same time the LED gets brighter and dimmer at the real rate of the evelope.

That’s just not possible. The LED is driven by the same voltage as the output. I think you may be misperceiving the sound or the LED. A VCA if you have one would make the situation clearer.