Powering stripboard builds with box headers (was Just so i know :) )

Another powering question but i hope its my last one :slight_smile: how would i power any diy module using box headers. For example the attack release bare bones module

or the diy vcf

thanks so much

2 Likes

What power supply do you have?

The supply wires are marked on the layout, so you have to figure out how to connect those strips (the three top ones, in this case) to the corresponding supply voltages.

If you have a supply with Eurorack-style 10-pin connectors, you can create a 10-pin to 3-wire adapter on a small separate piece of stripboard (or a spare corner of your main board, if you have the space) and then use wires connect the power strips there to the corresponding strips on the module.

4 Likes

sorry i forgot to say using box headers
ill edit it now

3 Likes

fair enough i was just wondering because theres not enouh space on that row for a 10 pin box header, would i move where id power it down
thanks

If you havenโ€™t already built the board you could widen it by a couple columns on the left and put the header on rows A through E, with strip cuts on rows C through E and a jumper connecting row E left of its cut to row C to the right of its cut.

Or you can use @fredrikโ€™s suggestion to use a separate small piece of stripboard for the box header and run hookup wires to the main board.

3 Likes

the second options was what i was origionally thinking but both will be fine
thanks

2 Likes

I changed the topic title and category to make it easier to find for others who may be helped by it.

4 Likes

would the spereate piece be the 10 pin box header then the wire connecting to the +12v , -12v and gn and then the jumpers between the gnd

2 Likes

Something like this:

Strips on the bottom, of course. Only shown on the top so you see what connects to what.

Red is +12V, blue is -12V, and black is ground/0V. Make sure you turn the box header the right way so the voltages line up.

Connecting the three ground strips to each other is optional but recommended. You can do that with jumpers as shown, or with solder bridges under the connector.

6 Likes

you are such a legend, thank you so much. The LMNC community is so helpful to new comers :)))))

3 Likes

yes to the 10 to 3 board and you are doing well