Power supplies choices?

Three weeks since I ordered from a UK-based eBay seller, after getting a refund for non-delivery, and 8 days after ordering from another UK-based seller on eBay, I got my Mean Well RT-65B switching +5,-12,+12 power supply. I’m going to use a buck converter on the +5V to give an additional supply of +3.3V, so I’ll have a very wide choice of small computer boards to run on my hybrid system.

4 Likes

Hello, I am curently looking for a wallwart typed adapter for my fc-power to be shipped to France. However I can’t seem to find a decently priced one with a euro plug, if you have any good deals they are the most welcome ! Here are the specs I need :
12 VAC wallwart
1000mA
Thank you !

1 Like

Basically, no. Voltage is relative and you can regard the +18V side as +9V and the 0V side as -9V, but that only gives you two voltage rails and you need a third — 0V.

2 Likes

You can use a voltage divider with equal high resistances (1M say) on either side. The middle can be used as a ground rail.

1 Like

That won’t give you “solid” ground.
For example usually LEDs are driven between GND and the positive rail.
But them you’ll have 1M in series with your LED (ignoring the few K of the current limiting resistor…), very unlikely it will light up, and your GND will be pulled towards your positive rail, because of those few K now in parallel with the “upper” 1M.

2 Likes

You’re probably right. It’s only useful for high impedance stuff.

2 Likes

But you totally can add a voltage follower after the divider (100k resistors would be better), it gives you a 20mA ground rail.

3 Likes

I didn’t really need a new power supply, but the anemic -12V rail of the MeanWell RT65B powering my Kosmo case was making me a little nervous. A while ago, I posted this in this very thread;

So, I got two 8.5A 12V MeanWell supplies and got to work:

There’s room to add a 5V supply, should I ever need it, hence the unlit LED. It has two outlets so I can power a second case. It certainly has enough juice to do so.

I do have a lid and rack ears for the enclosure. All in, this was less than $40.

7 Likes

Hooked up my rt65b with a fused switch with kettle cable plug and 3d printed a neat little cover which will protect the cables. I’ll hook up a usb hub to the 5v rail to power some ancillary stuff next

7 Likes

ModularSynthLab has a kit with the RT65B: https://modularsynthlab.com/product/eurorack-power-kit-modular-synth-power-kit/

3 Likes

I was under the impression that these need some kind of dummy load on the 5v supply?

Has anyone looked at this before?
It is of course very expensive, but also very well secured.

1 Like

trying to talk my son out of this power conditioner / sequential switch to plug the power strips in my module racks .

4 Likes

I’ve read similar. It’s pretty easy to stick some LEDs for light or something on there however!
I’m personally intending on putting a couple of usb ports on the side of my enclosure to make powering my beatstep pro easy!

2 Likes

I’ve done some experiments using old android phones as modules and synths. Having the 5v line would be useful.

3 Likes

To start or to regulate well? Some supplies do need some load (*), but the RT65s are specced for 0 − (max) A output and there’s nothing in the datasheet about minimum load.

*) e.g. some older PC supplies won’t turn on if there’s no load, and some linear regulators needs a few mA before they work correctly (usually addressed with a LED).

2 Likes

Check this thingie out!

Specs:

Dimensions :

128.7mm x 16mm x 5mm (1HP)

Input :

• Standard type C USB connector

Output :

• +12V 700mA and -12V 400mA on pinheaders
3 Likes

That’s 69 CHF which is about €65 or £60. Not the cheapest, but certainly beautiful and has the advantage of being extremely easy to power.

Just wondered if anyone has used the
RECOM REC1.5-0512DR/X1
brick I noticed on the paperPCB site?
Im curious but not sold enough to buy yet.

That specific module is obsolete afaict and isn’t very powerful (1.5 W, so 63 mA per rail) but industrial DC/DC converters are pretty standardized, so you can probably find other pin-compatible versions both from RECOM and other manufacturers (discussed e.g. here).

I’ve used the tiny ones for bench testing (see e.g. here) and small builds, but haven’t tested them under heavier load.

2 Likes