Power supplies choices?

has anyone used any of the prebuilt blocks like zeus by tiptop or the PSU’s that doepfer make

i dont really feel confident enough with electronics yet and just wanna screw something in my case that i know is gonna work.

whats the best option for a man like me, i could probably be pursuaded to build a kit.

tbh the downside of getting a premade one is that 1 probably wont be enough and i will need to have another power cable running into the back to power a 2nd

would be great to have just one cable coming from the wall

1 Like

I’ve been using a TipTop µZeus. It’s fine. A Eurorack module so would need some ingenuity to use it in a purely Kosmo setup.

I’ve heard good things about the 4ms Row Power modules, which feature two power jacks on the front panel to daisy chain them:

Daisy-chain multiple Row Powers to use a single power brick for multiple rows (typically 3-5 rows per power brick). Each row will be independently regulated and protected for ultra-low cross-talk between rows.

2 Likes

ive b een using a befaco excalibus as of late. its pretty good!

4 Likes

Bundled up nice and cosy (and they will heat up one another I imagine)! Are you experiencing any noise from the smpts (because the one with the green led indicator looks like it is not a transformer based supply)?

Seems everyone is switching over to switched mode supplies these days :smiley: ; e.g the Befaco @lookmumnocomputer mentioned is a couple of MEAN WELL DC/DC converters on a distribution board. The Row Power mentioned earlier is the same (or if they use magic, don’t see much circuitry at all on the photos of that one, but there’s at least one tiny RECOM there). Doepfer may be one of the few that insist that raw DC/DC converters aren’t good enough on their own (as mentioned earlier, they use 15V MEAN WELL + linear regulators).

1 Like

They’re still going strong with no noise to speak of. I also don’t hear noise from the Mean Well.

1 Like

Yeah that looks pretty solid, you reckon one would be able to handle 13 - 15 modules, think that’s about how much I’m gonna be able to fit in my case

I started building the MS-20 filter on a spare board I had laying around last night. IMG_7243|666x500
I’ve done my share of building machines in the past but I have to be honest this is the first project I’ve ever done that requires a dual output power supply.

Any thoughts on the jameco kit:
https://www.jameco.com/z/JE215-Dual-Output-Adjustable-Linear-Regulated-Power-Supply-Kit_20626.html
That is… would this kit work with these kozmo modules?

Really blown away by what Sam and this community has put together here. It’s truly inspiring.

I looked up some of the others mentioned here but they’re out of stock. Lots of folks in lock down going down the DIY modular synth rabbit hole I suspect :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi,
it should work. It has less capacitors (only one big 2200uF cap for each rail, vs three 4700uF on the frequency central power supply, so might be a little noisier or not as stable, I guess) and you have to deal with mains voltage and as it’s said in the video on the jameco page: With great power comes great responsibility!
Cool thing is that you can adjust the voltage and put the whole thing in your case!

3 Likes

Looks like a standard LM317/LM337 design, so should work. Capacitors maybe a bit low (which may result in more ripple than you’d like under load) and you have make sure to wire up the mains bits properly and put it in an enclosure so you don’t expose yourself or others for mains voltages.

But if you’re going to wire up mains bits anyway, I’d consider the Mean Well RT-65B (jameco part # 323540) instead, which is a switched supply but cheaper, slightly smaller, more robust, can provide more +12V amps and has a +5V rail, and is from a quality manufacturer.

4 Likes

Thanks Fredrik & Sebastian for your replies. I’m looking a little further. The RT-65B looks great but I’d really like adjustable output voltage. I have a few projects I’d like to do that require bipolar power from +/-5 to +/-15V - that jameco kit i linked to is on backorder… digging a little further.

1 Like

Ordered up the Befaco Excalibus Kit today. Excited for it to arrive!!

3 Likes

I have both PSU v2.0 (+5, +12, 12, G) and the smaller v0.5 (+12, -12, G)

So far its not popped while im debugging and troubleshooting my DIY Kosmo voice (3340,LPF,EnvGen,Mixer)
To give it credit, Its ‘Noob’ proof so far!!

I believe the v2.0 was updated to deal with ripple he experienced on v0.2 boards. 4700 caps 1n4008s…
ill let you know how the smaller one is when i get more parts and finish building it =)

2 Likes

While Im here…

I’m seeing alot of 3a wall wart users… will i struggle if mine is 1.5a?
I’m using Kristians PSU v2.0 from his Tindie shop and wont really be powering much in comparison to Sam or Colin Benders =D
3x 3340, A couple EnvGens, Basic MS20 LPF, MS20 L/HPF, SS Mixer… Dont know how much each module draws or how to calculate this stuff… (thats for future willow to worry about)

Drums will be a mix of BigButton and a wav trigger, In its own (separately powered) thing, and my Teensy4 Midi GuitarHero kit connected to SunVox (Ras-Pi DAW) will just have to fit in some where XD
(again thats for future wilow to worry about XD)

1 Like

it all depends on how many modules you eventually plug in . it is hard to say what the diy stuff uses and I am sure there is a way to test this ?. myself I just figure for 50 ma per module which is probably over on some or under on others [ totally IMO no fact or science here ] but if you look at commercially available modules most run in the 12 to 50 ma range. 3 amp = 1.5 per rail , again i ain’t no expert but you have some room to plug stuff in . put your finger on the voltage regulator if its hot you have run out of room .

5 Likes

Thanks for that, it atleast gives me a ballpark sum to work off till i can pick my bros mind properly =)
Seems i should be fine with what have planned so far! cheers again

2 Likes

You get roughly half the input amp on each output rail, so 1.5 A in should have room for 750 mA out, but to get there you need proper heatsinks on the regulators.

Didn’t know that was a thing but apparently it’s a 4001 rated for 1200 V. Hopefully you won’t get close to needing that :slight_smile:

Kristian’s PSUs don’t have protection diodes, btw, which is a bit unfortunate but not the end of the world.

4 Likes

just dug this up on tayda… it’s cheap enough that i will probably just order it and see what it is (not a lot of details on the site - they email you the datasheet after ordering)

anyone have any more knowledge/info? this seems like it would be perfect, minus the fact that it’s only 1 amp. could use multiple?

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electronic-kits/dual-12-volt-net-1-amp-regulator-kit-with-filter-capacitors-k024-3554.html

1 Like

Cannot really tell what that is without seeing the schematics, a BOM, and/or a photo, but a guess is the simplest possible 78xx/79xx circuit.

The folks over here thinks “preformatted board” means stripboard/perfboard, not an actual PCB.

3 Likes

It boggles me that Tayda tries to sell kits without telling you enough about them to know what exactly it is you’re buying. No schematic, few specs, not enough in the description to really understand what it does. It’s crazy.

This seems to be something that takes some sort of DC voltage(s) and puts out regulated ±12V. But exactly what input it wants, they don’t tell you. Is it basically just a couple of 12V regulators and ‘Preformatted board included. ( not an Etched printed circuit board)’… you mean a perfboard?

‘Regulate your existing DC power or one of our AC to DC converter Kits (K010, K020)’ – okay, K020 is this: ‘This kit provides parts to build a circuit that converts A/C to D/C, with power handling up to 50 volts and 3 amps Max with positive, Negative, and neutral rails. Filter capacitors included.’ But evidently no regulation, if the K024 kit is suggested to use with it. But from what kind of AC? 12V, 120V, 240V? What size/number of filter caps? And so on.

Maybe the combination of the two would provide regulated ±12V 1A power from 120V/240V AC. Maybe not.

I’d say an FC board would be a better buy.

5 Likes