PE (Percussion) Microsynth

There are two synthesizer projects described in Practical Electronics, that seems to have been flying under the radar.
One is the PE Microsynth, which when just reading the papers seems to be more interesting that the PE Minisonic (PE June - Aug 82).
The other is a Percussion Microsynth (PE June - July 83). Neither seems be found anywhere on the www and Youtube, so how they sound is a mistery.

Also when viewing the schematics, and honestly I am no expert in analog circuitry, but the designs are maybe very straight forward but yet very (as I see it) simple. On the other hand I find the two units rather intriguing and I wonder what could be done with the percussion unit and have started to slowly started to reverse engineer it, though the images of the pcb isn’t the very best, and both channels are drawn in one schematic so it is a challenge to get things right.

So with this said - has anyone any experience with the PE microsynths, have heard them seen them, please come forward (and confess).

Anyhow, I will try to have a go at this one and tracing the pcb using the print in the journal and the schematic will take some time and then, if I am happy with the result, will go on an order a pcb and build the stuff.

I’ll keep you posted.

PE 1983-06, part 1
PE 1983-07, part 2

PS.Looking for prints of old magazines (electronics), check: World Radio History

2 Likes

great find i love building all synth projects and thi is inspiring thanks for the find of gem gold

There are smaller and somewhat bigger projects in old magazines like Practical Electronics, ETI, Maplin Mags and in Radio and Popular Electronics.
Many are great subjects for experiments.

This table on sdiy.info might be useful to find these older Practical Electronics projects, with a lot of links in the column on the right to scans of the corresponding issues: https://sdiy.info/wiki/Practical_Electronics_SDIY_articles_index

This also contains links to PDFs of the PE June-Aug 1982 issues for the Microsynth.

Stefan

1 Like

Great! Thanks a lot SynthesiS.