OSHW suggestions and Spare PCB's

I am thoroughly musically untalented, but I like to build stuff with the kid that has an immediate payoff. We’ve made a few game machines, uncounted blinkenlights and we’re now in the process of building stuff that makes noise.

We’ve progressed from the Atari punk, through breadboarding various circuits, Arduino & dupont horrors and wire monstrosities that fall apart if you breathe wrong and are now mining Github etc for cool projects that have a PCB designed.

We’re in the middle of making:

Drumkid - Got the SMT PCB, this may have been over-ambitious as the parts are significantly smaller than the 0805 I’ve built with before. Should’ve got assembly with the PCB for the small bits :frowning:

AcidBox - Looks fun and definitely fits the makes noise immediately requirement. Waiting on a few parts from China.

EDIT: Only 2 links in a post :frowning: Search copych Acidbox on Github

Fizzle Loop synth - Can’t get started, neither of us wants to make it, dunno why it looks great.

EDIT: Only 2 links in a post :frowning: Search instructables 555-Fizzle-Loop-Synth-V4

Stuff We’ve built (just the PCB stuff)

BeatMaster 2000 - Good fun, makes terrible noises. Went through 3 builds before trying better caps, better pots and now it makes beats not just SKREEEEEEEEEEEE!

EDIT: Only 2 links in a post :frowning: Search instructables

MiniPops - Great fun to mess with, PCB was not great, I may have messed up in KICAD, some of the holes were incorrectly sized and I absolutely could not find toggle switches with through hole mounts. Couple of resistor legs to replace the two inside pins on the arduino and some small switches (which I now have 200 of…) and it pops away. Sounds surprisingly good through an amp.

Ayone got any more suggestions of wonderfully beepy stuff with a PCB or a very easy schematic (my KICAD skills are also minimal)?

And is there any approved place to do swaps? I’ve got at least one spare of all those PCB’s along with a few Arduboy and other bits and selling OS stuff seems wrong.

2 Likes

From the FAQ category:

You can take 10 minutes to get to Basic level, then go back and edit your post to put the links in; you’ll probably get more useful replies that way. Take a look around the other FAQ category posts while you’re there, saves time in the long run.

I have no problems with people getting enough to cover the costs of fabrication and postage. (For my own OS designs, I have no problem with people getting filthy rich off them.)

1 Like

From the FAQ category

Suitably chastened, I’ll look about a bit more before posting, old enough to know better etc…

It’s more that it feels icky, P&P+costs is obviously ok, but swaps seem more fun and who doesn’t like hand-addressed parcels?

Additional clickable links from the OP:

2 Likes