My first DIY modules - starting a Kosmo format build

Well, since I’m waiting on parts to complete my LMNK boards (thought some were supposed to arrive today, but I misread the tracking and they’re not due until Monday, and some others that were due to arrive today got delayed :frowning: ) I figured I should do another stripboard DIY module.

I was going to do the LMNK dual VCA, and found a stripboard layout for it…but I didn’t really care for the layout I found. So started drawing up my own. And…even though it’s a pretty simple circuit started to get in over my head fairly quickly doing it as a stripboard.

So looked for something a bit simpler to try first and work my way up. Decided to do Kristian Blåsol’s MIAW LM13700 Dual VCA since I have a few LM13700’s on hand and it was a very simple circuit.

So - did my first “from schematic” stripboard with no existing stripboard layout to refer to and sanity check my work off.

As usual I added a 10pin power header and positioned all the I/O so I could use JST-XH or dupont connectors to connect the panel. And of course a 3D printed panel:

That’s actually just one panel, the black line down the middle I did like the lettering as part of the print. I did make one little change and used 5k pots instead of 1k for the bias controls simply because I had 5k’s but no 1k’s on hand :man_shrugging:

Solder view in case you’re into that:

Inside view ready to add to the rack. I should clean up the wiring with some zip ties or something, but it works.

Very simple circuit, 10 resistors, 2 caps, and the LM13700 along with a few jumper wires and trace cuts. Wish I had found a nice clean way to keep it compact and bring the grounds onto one of the headers, but wound up just adding a header for grounds separately since it was easiest.

Fits nicely…I’m starting to like the look of these modules. I also added my LMNK buffered multiple since it’s finished and working.

I really need to do a new panel for the LFO with proper labels…and might try to add a CV control on the rate when I do. And I want to do a new panel for the hi-hat/snare making it into a 5cm panel instead, adding the LED’s that are just shoved between it and the LFO right now, and since I’ll have the space try adding CV on the delay controls.

So it’s making progress. No video clip for the VCA’s…they work…but with just the one LFO and one VCO and no envelope generator I’m not able to do all too much more with them in the system just yet. Debating if I want to do some work on the LFO and noise drum next, build a slightly better LFO next, or get a simple envelope generator together.

And once a few more bits show up this case is going to start getting kind of crowded - so may have to work on a standalone case for the megadrone:

I think I have everything I need to build the gate grinder…but it’s fairly low on my priority list. The dual quantitizer I need some 12 position rotaries, I only have 6 position on hand. The triple splashback is waiting on 10 100k pots (which should be here Monday.) The VCLFO is also waiting on some 100k pots. The mini ADSR is waiting on two switches - the ones in there right now are just on-off, correct switches should be here Monday. The performance VCO is waiting on a couple of parts that should be here Monday, and then quad VCO is waiting on jacks that were supposed to be here today but now I don’t know when they’ll show up.

Oh - and tomorrow should be some progress on my continuing knob experiments. You can see I’m using half a dozen of my grey 3D printed knobs already. I don’t really have enough black resin left to do them “correctly” but…tomorrow I get a set of epoxy resin dyes…which supposedly can be used with white standard resin (which I have an almost full bottle of) and the tenacious flexible I use for the knob inserts to let me make just about any color of resin I want. So I’ll be experimenting to see if I can get something similar to the color of my case to “pull it all together” :smiley: Or…maybe I’ll go with a complimentary color to liven things up a bit…we’ll see what kind of mood strikes me I guess and how well the experiment works.

7 Likes