My build progress

One great thing about Kosmo is that essentially it’s electrically identical to Eurorack. (There’s no +5V rail and no CV/Gate lines on the power header, but very very few Eurorack modules use those either.) The only difference is the panel size. In principle you can take (almost) any Eurorack module PCB and mount it behind a Kosmo panel.

Except of course Eurorack uses 3.5 mm jacks, and usually Eurorack knobs and switches are too close together for Kosmo users’ tastes. So most board-mounted components need to be replaced by panel-mounted ones, wired to the pads that would have been used for the board mounted components. And you may have to rig up some kind of bracket or standoffs to mount the PCB if it was originally designed to attach to the panel via those same board mounted components. Or in some cases there’s a main PCB and a panel PCB, in which case you could design a Kosmo-sized panel PCB that connects to the main PCB.

This is called Konversion.

So there’s some work involved, but if you do it then there are hundreds of Kosmo DIY boards on the market, mistakenly labeled as Eurorack.

One example.

5 Likes

Yep. Most IC’s datasheets will give details on the temps. And that’s for oven reflow where they’re totally baked. With handheld hot air unless you’re reckless you’ll probably never reach those levels. I’ve done fine pitch CPLD’s and FPGA’s by hand and it’s possible…but much easier with hot air.

In the video I was lingering longer than required with the hot air - I was still getting a feel for it and learning how to tell when it had actually liquified. Plus trying to record and solder at the same time was a new experience as well :smiley:

I usually keep my hot air station at 316c - but that’s measured in the handpiece. So I expect the air to loose a bit of heat on the way out. I use MG 63/37 paste (cat no 4860P-35G) and keep it in the fridge when I’m not using it. One syringe has lasted me over 5 years and is still mostly full despite having done about a dozen boards of various complexity. Technically it’s probably “expired” by this point…but still works just fine for me. Again as DIY hobbyists we can get away with a lot that wouldn’t fly for industrial production.

I don’t think I’ve ever damaged anything with hot air yet (as far as I know…though I do seem to be having issues with the SMT DAC on my current project) but I have damaged parts in the past with an iron and too high of a temp back when regulated irons were less common.

There are also fairly cheap reflow ovens - but they tend to require quite a bit of work to make them usable. The T-962 is the popular one and about $200 from the usual places. Info on upgrading and fixing it here: GitHub - UnifiedEngineering/T-962-improvements: Improvements made to the cheap T-962 reflow oven utilizing the _existing_ controller HW

Here’s a good video on some of the options and updating a T-962: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrucIWig24

Honestly though it looked like he got more paste than necessary on even with his stencil. Not sure if it was his stencil or his technique…but I generally use considerably less than he did.

They’re eurorack…but some of the nonlinear circuits modules are small/cheap/simple enough they may be good first SMT projects to get a taste for it and you can always re-panel them for Kosmo if you prefer.

3 Likes

How did you learn the hot air process? In person instruction, YouTube videos, trial and error… ?

1 Like

YouTube. In particular, Dave Jones has a few helpful ones:

4 Likes

Mix of youtube and trial and error.

Honestly I found it was a lot easier than I expected once I finally tried it.

4 Likes

The comments on those prominently feature the kind of know-it-alls I was talking about, graciously explaining how his technique could never work…

3 Likes

Ha, ha, now that I call funny :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I built the Erica Polivoks filter and it’s great. The resonance is wild in the best possible way.

Except there is an issue with their DIY files. It appears Pusherman is also also selling this panel PCB with the same error:

Let me know if you need help spotting it :crazy_face:

2 Likes

CV1 Level, CV2 Level and In Level labels are swapped ?

1 Like

You wanted to repanel this for Kosmo anyway, right?

2 Likes

Yup

@ChristianBloch,

Wow, that’s kind of annoying…

2 Likes

Hills:
Playing around with a design based on a section of the Kaussutronics Variable Waveshape LFO.
triangle to sine
The Triangle to Sine Convertor section is what piqued my interest as I am working on a device that produces 6 variable triangle waves (called Slopes/Swoops) and figured this would be a great addition to my design!

Further reading and diagrams show the Triangle wave section above heading on down to the TL074 and I cut off the upper section as that will be the input.

I decide to “Peter-ize” the schem in the form of a Paper Circuit ala ciat-lonbarde.

And just finished up the final version of it

I need to breadboard and test the circuit out, but hopefully it should have no issues!

7 Likes

Can you upload an audio example showing the resonance?

3 Likes

Like @Jos said, that would be great ! Erica did a lot of fantastic sounding modules !

You convinced me, I just ordered an 858D for $39.99 +tax on Amazon

(I had this Amazon gift card that I was itching to spend.)

4 Likes

Nice, I thought I paid more but just checked and the one I got was only $47 and has come down to $46. But it includes a bunch of tweezers, tools, and a spare heating element: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FBGFT3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One thing I learned the hard way. The “tips” actually have a small dimple on them and twist into position. It’s very subtle though and easy to miss…which I did the first few times I used it. So I push pushed them on and pulled them off. Which eventually led to the one I used the most breaking. I got a set of new tips from banggood for a few bucks that included more sizes though so it worked out in the end.

2 Likes

I guess they figured it out themselves :grinning:

Here you go:

3 Likes

Decided to print it out and build it today!

Just missing the J201 which are on the way!

Here’s where the art is :smiley:

5 Likes