Do we need a topic for people working outside 12-note equal temperament? Maybe?
Anyway, here’s a Python script I’ve been working on.
With this script you can:
- Search for equal divisions and linear tunings that are optimal for approximating a given set of intervals.
- Specify the period and, for linear scales, the generator.
- Score each scale by the root mean square (RMS) error, average absolute error, or maximum absolute error.
- Show all scales in a range of lengths, or limit to:
- Ones whose score improves on any of shorter length
- Ones whose score lies below some threshold
- Investigate what Carlos calls scales with a fractional number of steps to the octave.
It’s here (and yeah, I’m trying out gitlab instead of Microsoft’s github)