Mail Day Thread

Another order from DSMCZ. Generally satisfied with this Czech shop, nice assortment, no minimum orders, ok shipping costs, an option to minimize plastic packaging.

I have no idea whatsoever what I’m going to do with those cute little VU meters (nor even how to wire them up lol).

6 Likes

A pair of RPi Pico’s. Totes forgot to order the optocoupler and 5 pin DIN sockets… :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

This is a Bluetooth receiver that pairs with up to 8 senders. It’s a fairly inexpensive item but over the weekend the price was down to £14.99. It plugs straight into the 3.5mm unbalanced stereo input on my speakers and saves me so much bother with cabling.

2 Likes

I have some work to do…

9 Likes

Those are rad! Need to get a set!

2 Likes

a new sample player / midi trigger .
based on the Robertsonics Sparkfun Tsunami super wave trigger board .

10 Likes

Some 24AWG silicone wire and some Vishay 6N138 optocouplers. Wish they’d arrived on Saturday, then I could’ve accomplished a bit more soldering yesterday…

4 Likes

Keep the pink (antistatic) bags. They are useful for storing parts that actually do need antistatic protection (i.e. semiconductors, and boards with semicondctors).

2 Likes

Evidently you have not yet seen my pink bag drawer.

It’s pretty full.

9 Likes

Also very useful if you get into board games.

5 Likes

Five sets of PCBs for the EuroPi project. Bit annoyed that they put the reference number for the front panel where they did… I’ll probably be selling on a couple of the sets after Christmas, otherwise I’ll just have a rack of utility modules and nothing else!

6 Likes

Looks good.

I like to use a ground plane on both sides of the PCB (or panel) but this works.

Are there headers behind the display? Make sure you test them for shorts or discontinuity before soldering the display down. I might have known someone who didn’t do that once.

You know you can tell them where to put it right?

Edit: Ah, these are someone else’s Gerbers? Okay.

2 Likes

Yep, building myself up to doing my own! A video about these was in my YouTube recommendations and, by the time the video had finished, I’d found the Gerbers and ordered them.

2 Likes

You all already know what’s the deal with those bad boys :slight_smile:

Many more plans available I could build with those than the 3 chips I bought, not decided yet which I’m building first, but the chip seems easy enough to work with to jump in directly to a build that exposes all of its features.

4 Likes

Maybe you’re aware they have some pitfalls to be aware of; this discussion focuses on the LMNC 1222 but a lot of it applies to any 3340 design:

4 Likes

Isn’t it amazing what a few schmeckles will get you on aliexpress? This is a 15 band stereo equalizer (read: fixed filter bank) for 18 euros. Seems to work as expected, just slap on a panel

3 Likes

There are important differences between a Moog style fixed filter bank and a graphic equalizer. But it’ll do what it does!

2 Likes

In terms of filter topology, I assume?

1 Like

Typically in an equalizer you have boost and cut filters with wide pass bands. So each either boosts or cuts frequencies around its center frequency; in the center position they pass the input unchanged. In a Moog style FFB you have resonant band pass filters with narrow pass bands; they cut frequencies that are not near the center frequency. At the top they pass most of that frequency and at the bottom they pass just about nothing. The narrow pass bands give formant-like peaks in the frequency response.

They’re designed for different purposes: An equalizer to correct, modify, or emulate the peaks and valleys in an acoustic environment, a Moog type FFB to create something akin to acoustic instruments’ formant structure.

6 Likes

Thanks for elaborating, I don’t have much experience with the Moog-style FFB. Now I have studied the 2-by-2 pixel schematic a bit more, it seems that this unit does not use filters, but rather something called gyrators (today I learned). Still, I spot two reactive elements per stage, I suspect a second-order response. That makes me wonder, what’d happen if I place the two channels in series? Intuition would expect a 4th order response. Or feed it’s output back into itself?