Let's Play The Name Game!

Hey all,

So, just for funsies, I’m making this thread to ask why you have chosen your usernames/pseudonyms.

Why do you call yourself what you call yourself and does it have much significance to you?
I know it’s not a super important thing, but I think it’s a good way to learn a little bit more about each other!
My username now is recent, but has personal importance to me. All of my other pseudonyms were either generic or short-term jokes. I’ll tell my story once there’s a few posts, as I don’t want to make this OP too long.

Much love <3

3 Likes

There’s a long stretch of the “Introductions: Say Hello…” thread where we do this. It’s a pity we (probably) can’t re-assign those posts here.

3 Likes

I know the introductions thread has a lot of similar content, but I’m hoping for a more personal “why” kinda thing. I’ll see where this leads at least

3 Likes

Hanged Man,

Thank you for this very interesting topic. I’ve made numerous psuedonyms which some were short lived and some lasted longer but mostly they tend to not have any significance and fell out of use. I’ve gotten a lot of practice in making them and I’ve called to my own process that suited the name generator in my psyche.

Why?

I had characters drawn in my artwork that had names. The names I put on my possessions were related to the characters as these characters were aardvarks and I put “Aardvark” in stick on letters on my portfolio. The shift of characters was abrupt at a phase I was at trying to figure out my life. The characters represented things to me. I was more considerate of the creation of the characters. When I was finding new friends I had to make a new introduction for myself. I tried to introduce myself one way and then I changed what I didn’t find satisfying about it. This was about the time that avatars were in forums which meant that some people in real life were finding who the people from the internet were. I found I wanted to keep the two synchronized. I spent some time finding Esopus. I was curiously enthusiastic about that name. I first found it as a geographical area when I looked up random history on the New York City water sources which came by an aqueduct miles north in the Catskills and near to it was Esopus Creek. There’s hardly any meaning to that except to me it sounded nice. At the time I made a character called Esopus who was a gargoyle and started a musical project in the music communities with which I was starting to socialize.

Does it have significance?

At first no. While I had the Esopus project started I determined I was a furry. I was already introducing myself as Esopus and the character was in this phase an identity online and in real life. Starting out as a furry I named myself Esopus The Dragon. At this point the character was created moment by moment and changed. There’s times when the character seemed like a standard dragon wth dark red scales which evolved into a Eastern dragon with black and a little dark red scales. Simultaneously I took rights to a character with a costume that was unnamed. I called the character Fumu by a similar way of finding the name that I was curiously enthusiastic about but the name really is just random. Fumu is apocryphally the world’s tallest mountain in a historic novel. The point that I learned how significant both characters were to me was when I retired works that referred to how the characters look but took the names for myself so I could find how I wanted them represent me. At the moment I’m not sure but I think I’ll get their representation right when the right moment happens. I don’t just have Fumu and Esopus as I’m creating a character who builds a Kosmo and I’m working on the species along with some lore to give an idea how to create together within that world. As for Kardashev Type II it’s a term I found that I just imagined what would be if Kosmo modulars joined up as a network to draw energy from a star. Just like the two dragons I find when the name comes it’s the right one but random happenstance makes the name come to me. I find that synthbuilding fits in with the enthusiasm within these characters.

-Fumu / Esopus

5 Likes

1st year at Uni, 1992. “CM1BTRLC” was my mainframe user, for the unsanctioned “multiplayer” hidden game a had a handle but found another user also had it. So quickly chnage to one that reflected a projetc for a TwinTurbo Landrover V8 that a circle of friends were looking at…

1994 I bought a ford sierra, and at that point learned of the Turbo Technics conversion to TwinTurbos on the 2.9 V6 Engine… So with a goal of owning one the handle stuck. I did eventual own 3, but never actualy had one on the road… I have talked personaly with the Owner of turbo Technics, at the same time as standing next to 3 of the very Rare “Minker”.

I have given up ever owning a TT Sierra now. But everyone knows me on forums as TT.

I actulay have 3 Turbos in working Vehicls, but all are in different hosts.

That’s it.

Cheers

TT :wink:

7 Likes

My mother is from the North East of Scotland and a native Doric speaker. She’s also an acclaimed poet in the Doric.
Farabide is a contraction of fa ah bide - where I live.

I use others. Faramoftae - where I’m going

7 Likes

it’s when i just beginning my website about circuit bending stuff, i shearch a little and i find it :grin:

8 Likes

willow is a name ive used since i was a little skater kid, its just an abbreviation of my second name. The 2x part i nabbed from a friends email since ‘willow’ is going to be used mostly XD
Later (after years of using the name) i found out the 2x thing is from wrestling. Which is just a testosterone ballet. I dont mind it, but if i wanted badly acted drama id probably get more substance from Hollyoaks. XD

Nowa days im a fan of ‘Mr.Kai2x’ it seems a bit more formal, but still has that old ‘signature’
or ‘Mr.TrashEater’ which i use for gaming. a bit more of an original name. it comes from Supercommuters newest album/vinyl ‘Trash World’. a lyric got stuck in my head.
‘If you eat trash you’re a winner, in a world, made of trash’

6 Likes

Was in a hurry setting up for a darknet challenge so I picked it on a whim. Heck was taken. I do like the way it sounds.

7 Likes

The Esopus tribe is a tribe of Lenape Native Americans that were in what is now Upstate New York, specifically in the Catskill Mountains.

That word means “high banks”.

Source:

4 Likes

Caustic,

Esopus can be derived from numerous references in the Catskills: the Esopus Creek, the Town of Esopus, the Esopus Avenue in Ulster Park, the Esopus Magazine and the Esopus Tribe. When I first noted the tribe that’s when I knew that the name was initially Sopus and the Dutch were the first to call them Esopus. I saw the name notably as the creek and also saw the frequency that it was referenced. It just sounded right and the frequency of my sights of it confirmed it.

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes

I got my name from an old graffiti tag I used to do as a teenager (I was a bit of a little shit growing up, didn’t really care about much besides smoking weed and skateboarding aha. I’m quite embarrassed about it all now…). I don’t think I really got the name from anywhere - I was really into 90s hip hop at the time and think I thought it sounded like something an MC would be called lol.

The 22 comes from the fact that just Trumac was taken when I tried to sign up to xbox live (add playing Halo 3 to the list of teenage hobbies above) and i thought 22 sounded phonetically good and it just stuck for about 14 years…

9 Likes

and i thought 22 sounded phonetically good

Nice. Alliteration is always rad.

4 Likes

My handle here and on IG is so that people would know that I am antoine@pasde2.com, should that web site ever take off.

pasde2.com is a web site that I created a few years ago with the intention of hosting my digital synthesizer projects.

PASDE is a contrived acronym for Performance Analog Synthesizer Digital Emulation

The first project was going to be a digital emulation of a Minimoog (THE performance analog synth).

The 2 is supposedly to give the impression of a second generation of said emulation, but really it’s just so the web site’s name looks and sounds like “pas de deux” in French, which is the name of a ballet move, but also is a stupid play on word as “pas de deux” literally means “no twos”, as in: “only zeroes and ones” because the projects on that site are digital.

Antoine is my real first name. The story there is also somewhat amusing, my mother was looking for an emperor’s name for me, her first son, (gives you an idea of how I was treated as a child) she liked Alexandre, but figured people would just call me Alex and didn’t like the sound of that, so she eventually settled on Antoine ( of Cleopatra fame ).

6 Likes

I generally don’t forget my name, that’s why I chose my username here. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Time for mine I suppose!

After going from name to name over the course of the last few years, I kinda gave up and went by many variations of “Some Guy”. That stuck for the last year until a few months ago.

One of my best pals (a philosophy major and general esoteric magicks enthusiast) told me that I was “the most hanged man motherf***er” he’s ever met. After doing a bit more research on tarot and what the hanged man is supposed to represent, I’ve realized how much of a compliment that is. To live in such a way is something I’ve strived for, and to be called that by someone I respect as highly as him means a lot.

So yeah, I go by Hanged Man now. It’s the first pseudonym I’ve taken that really has proper significance to me.

5 Likes

Hanged Man,

I know what that’s like to receive one of those kinds of compliments. The most abridged way of saying it is I had a close friend with some interest in esoteric magick himself say I make him think of a dragon. I’ve been into dragons for near to half my life but what he was saying has had a great turning direction on my interest.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

1990 when i was 11 years, we had to invent a name and make a logo for it. The logo is gone but name is still the same. Unfortunatelly(?) The searchprograms mix it with weapon when searching weapea…
Has different name for different forums… Has to be my own, not too Hard to remember, what comes in mind

5 Likes

I’m just waiting for @ChristianBloch, @MarkKelsall, @brandonnguyen94, @EddyBergman, @RaphaelLari and @JonGreen to explain how they got their names in this thread. :wink:

6 Likes

I was adopted…

3 Likes