Learning about electronics & stuff

Hi guys! I would like to learn how to build modules and also to understand why I need these or those components and what they do and so on…! Do you think it´s possible to learn that without going into some sort of school or work?
Are most of you guys engineers or coming from that direction or did you learn all that by yourself?

Are there online lessons or books or some sort of “STARTER KIT” you could eventually recommend?! Is this even possible? I have no idea where to start…! Soldering DIY-KITS after a manual is one thing, but to know what´s actually going on and why that´s what I´d like to know!

Would be interesting to see what you you guys have to say about that, cheers!

Elsewhere in the forum, we recommended Forest Mims book “Getting Started in Electronics” which you can probably find as a .pdf somewhere as a starting point. Then as you level up, you can get a great education out of YouTube videos like eevblog and of course muffwiggler. There are lots of free options, some good, some not so good. Sam does builds, but in the past he hasn’t done a lot of theory around why the circuitS work the way they do, but that’s not to say he’ll never go that direction.

4 Likes

Oh ok thank you!! I’ll take a look at those!! :ok_hand:

1 Like

I think you will find there is a vast mix of experience, understanding and skils. and many people are not electronics experts and indeed probably novices.

I did electronics A-Level, and even built a working light for a Minature House project at primary school (circa 1983) using a bulb and a battery!!! My a level project was actualy a 3 output oscillator for a function generator…

As with a lot of the stuff you will find, it’s all work that has been done before. Usualy found in text books, and worked out from data sheets…

I perhaps knew some of the theory 30 years ago, but now I just trust in the design…

Rob

5 Likes

Lot of self learning and some engineering background on this forum. I’m just teaching myself, which is what I always do. I try to document as I learn so I can reference later, but also so people can use it as a resource. I made a write-up on the super simple mixer if you want to take a look through.

1 Like

Ray Wilson’s book “Make:Analog Synthesizers” is a good training resource. As for the basic 'how electronics works ’ there are many online courses and YouTube channels. Adamski.a explains the synth electronics very well on his YouTube channel and learnelectronics, another youtuber has some excellent primers. There are no DAQ’s* here so when in doubt just ask.
(*Dumb Ass Question)

3 Likes

Ok cool, thank you!!! I´ll check them all out :wink:

2 Likes

That seems to be a good method I think! Will get myself a breadboard and some LEDs and stuff, and then start learning. An Arduino-Starter Kit maybe best!

2 Likes

If you lemme know what you want to do, or some ideas, i can build you up some thingies to grab if you like. Just to get you started n junk.

2 Likes

Some books I really like are from R.M marston
-Audio IC Circuits Manual
-Instrumentation and test gear manual
-Integrated Circuit and Waveform Generator Handbook
They are a little dated, but the principles that are shown in the practical circuits are still used just with newer parts/chips. They are really are less mathematics more practical design.

I have also started reading Practical circuits for inventors. By Paul Scherz
I wish go a hold of it earlier it has a lot of ground work for understanding electronics/Parts/formulas.

I have no official training with electronics and am still pretty new too it. But I have been learning a lot. I like the universal principles you can apply too synths/music/anything else that uses electricity.

2 Likes

Elgoo has some good starter kits. They sell 3 breadboards for $10. Something I learned quickly is to get a decent breadboard. Saves headaches of flaky connections.
Some of my top pick channels are
Great scott:Project oriented
Big Clive:Reverse engineers electronics and explains how they work.
EEV blog:More technical

3 Likes