Intermediate 3D Printer Suggestions

So I am looking to delve into the realm of getting a 3D Printer.

I do not have a ton of expendable funds, but I can probably drum up 300-500 for a set up.

I know in that realm, that is not a lot of money, but any suggestions would be great!

Any good guides on getting into printing and designing?

I can use Fusion360 a little bit, but thats about it right now lol.

1 Like

Yep, best maybe to start a separate thread about his. I’ve seen an ender 3 working up close. It is a really sturdy build, you need that, and it is made of quality material. Of course it lacks the stuff more expensive printers have, such as auto levelling of the print plane. But if you do not walk around all day with your printer setting it up here and there, then levelling it once by hand should be ok.

They come with several options and therefore their prices may differ, but the one I saw was ordered directly from China and was similar this this one. Of course there may be additional custom costs.

Oh, and do check the reviews there are on youtube about 3D-printers. There are plenty. And by now, they have been around for quite a few years already, you will find that prices have come down quite a bit.

2 Likes

Amazon has the Ender 3 for $290 in case you don’t want to wait for AliExpress shipping:

Are you sure this will be faster? I ordered an oscilloscope with amazon.de, assuming it would be shipped within Europe. To my great surprise the device came from Hong Kong!

Yeah, if I ordered that Ender 3 it would be here Saturday with Amazon Prime lol.

Amazon here is STUPID FAST.

I’ve had so many things arrive the next day lol.

Yeah, this one is Prime, so it should be fast. I have several things coming from AliExpress that have taken more than a month at this point. Including the damn ADSR switches.

I have some 20+ orders with aliexpress that still need to arrive. Some I have been waiting for for more than 50 days.

It took me a while to notice on AliExpress you can pull up a selection for how they’ll ship. There are many options depending on the store and some are reasonably fast without being numbingly expensive. Some. Sometimes.

And sometimes my mantra is “I can be patient while I’m being a cheapskate”. I have some knobs that allegedly have been in the US for 10 days or more in the “sorting center” with no sign of progress. But damn, they were practically free, and I don’t need 'em any time soon.

1 Like

I was looking into 3d printer stuff too so im glad to see this thread.

1 Like

I often order stuff way in advance, so it does not matter that it takes quite long for them to arrive. The fun thing of this is that whenever the post brings me a parcel it is like a surprise to me what is in there.

1 Like

I get that and it is fun to be surprised. With a major purchase like a 3D printer, though, I would be way too impatient.

1 Like

Before the flue I could predict when stuff would arive, the mean of delivery time was 25 days, and the standard deviation was 17 ( whit N > 600 ). But nowadays …

1 Like

Of my several purchases from AliExpress, I only had a couple supposedly spend a long time in the US and they never arrived. I hope you have better luck.
(I always got a refund for stuff I never received though.)

Make sure you communicate with the seller before the automatic receipt acknowledment is sent, in case the stuff is actually lost and you need to ask for a refund.

Ik know, so far I’ve always gotten a refund, so I am not worried.

1 Like

Today I saw this:

A 99 USD printer assembled by a 9 year old.

1 Like

Kid needs to read https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/how-to-prevent-and-fix-filament-tangles :grinning:

2 Likes

I personally have a Ender 3 pro and absolutely love it. I forget the exact amount but I bought it at my local Microcenter for around 300 at the beginning of the pandemic. If it cost more, I am more than happy to eat the extra cost to support a local store. Plus it was nice to know if I had a problem that I wouldn’t have to deal with shipping.

2 Likes

I’ve started with a anet a6 in 2017…I’ve upgraded that thing a lot and learned alot about 3d printing and how to maintain it. now i have a prusa i3 mk3 with auto leveling and a lot of other features… I gave my old frankenstein printer to my little cousin…LOL

I recommend starting with a cheaper model like the ender 3 and learn alot about the machine… in my experience a more expensive fdm printer doesn’t print better then a good tuned in cheaper alie express printer… but having that said I really like the optimized workflow features the prusa mk3 gives me personally.

i guess people always like wat they have.

1 Like

I actually ordered a prusa mk3 - but then canceled my order when I found out how long the lead time was.

1 Like

Haha…did it become that bad? how long was it? I got mine in a week but it was the diy model…