Help for big button

You have 0V from every switch pin to ground, including pin 6 which is connected to the Arduino 5V pin?

Or ~4V from pin 6 to ground and 0V on the other pins?

Or something else?

Do any voltages (from pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 to ground) change when you rotate the switch? (They shouldn’t.)

If you have ~4V from the Arduino 5V pin to ground but not from pin 6 to ground then you have a bad connection from the Arduino 5V pin to pin 6. Or, somehow, pin 6 is shorted to ground.

If you have ~4V on pin 6 but 0V on the other pins then you have a bad connection from pin 6 to pin 5.

4 Likes

I look at this and I tell you… :wink:

:grimacing:sorry to answer so late but with the resumption of high school I didn’t have much time to tinker with the synth!

so…

I’m going back and reading all your answers again, I did the tension tests and it gives me really different results than what I did before… :thinking:
It’s strange but I don’t know why…
I have different voltages for each pin of the switch which correspond to what you told me.

1 Like

Strange thing is that at the base of the selector pins I always have about 4.2v, but when I measure at the top of the pins I have the right voltage… So I don’t know why I can get two different voltages just by measuring at different places of the same pin.

Between pin 0v and the center pin of the switch I have:
-in position 1:0.0v
-in position 2:0.8v
-in position 3:1.6v
-in position 4:2.4v
-in position 5:3.2v
-in position 6:4.1v

1 Like

That looks correct. …

OK so I’m supposed to be able to program the different tracks. Which is not the case…
I don’t really understand what’s going on in this circuit because sometimes I can program a sequence on an output (when it works it’s the last one, output 6). And other times nothing at all…!!!

and for the fact that my big button doesn’t light up, what can I check ? (I ask this as if it was my only problem :sweat_smile:)

Necromancer W2X with another topic res’

I wanted to test the voltages out of Ch1-6 to see if it was safe for a Teensy 4 Wav Trigger im yet to build. But I ran into issues…

(Big button is powered by a 9v, clock in from BSP clock out)

I thought I had it to a ‘working’ standard (even though channels LEDs lit up in rev order.)
Definitely wired the rotary backwards.
But its doing other wierdness now, after a rebuild.

When inserting a jack into a channel out it switches banks, and CH LEDs arent lighting up any more =/ I did totally remove a Gnd wire.

Ive tested the V difference on the rotary (Ch select) by having meter neg on signal, which gave me

1. 0.00
  2. 0.77
  3. 1.54
  4. 2.32
  5. 3.10
  6. 3.89

Testing Ch outputs (inserting a cable into Ch 1 and testing the T-S with volt meter) reveals nothing, no voltage.

Ok… So, I believe ive got it working!
What I had to do was… just do it right.

Rotary: Make sure the Gnd is connected to Ch1 and that the + connections are on Ch6 of the switch.

LEDs: If you dont use a metal panel, connect the Gnd to another Gnd. I chose the Trigger In as it was handy.

I am still to test the voltages of the Ch Outs as I got excited by seeing things flashing how I would expect!

https://www.instagram.com/p/COtXC12nhyx/?igshid=9oveyztkg4tf

2 Likes

I just measured what im getting out of the BigButtons Ch 1: 0 - 0.38v with a bunch of triggers happening.
I expect the rest will be the same.
Does that sound about right?

I for some reason thought id see 5v (just pulled it out of thin air I guess XD) and wasted time making a voltage divider.
Seems I can use it as is for the Teensy4.

What’s “Ch 1”? There’s no such thing in the stripboard layout. Did you mean OUT 1 (which is connected to D8) or something else?

Yeah thats the one. Channel one of the outputs =)
It makes more sense to me that way, Since the rotary chooses a channel and the outs are… well, outs =D

Something is terribly wrong if you’re getting ~0.38 V off a digital pin. It should be either ~5 V or 0 V.

Also, if the LED is lighting up, it ain’t 0.38 V.

1 Like

Im betting its the multimeter settings @willow2x, you sure you are on the DC mode? Also modern digital logic uses 3.3v, but yeah a world away from 0.38v.

1 Like

Sure, but this is an Arduino Nano we’re talking about. So the digital pins should be about 5 V when on.

1 Like

The stripboard layout has the 78L05 connected to VIN, so the internal supply rail would be ~3.8 V for a regular Nano. Which is 10× the reported value…

2 Likes

Ha! I bet you’re right you know ill check again.
See if im due a solid ‘face palm’ moment XD

This is how I was set.

It seems fine on a 9v. Ill test some pins on the Nano rather than the Ch Outs and see if I get anything different later.
Just working on Thogres buss boards now ive got some more Ecaps in =)

1 Like

Nah, that looks right i think. How odd.

It’s for sure related to VIN. I really thought it was as simple as the multimeter getting the decimal placement wrong.

Has anyone tested their Big Button Ch outs voltages? Im going to try another arduino later today n see if theres any difference.

Also I can report the Trigger In jack works fine with the BSPs drum channels.
I might work on using a Guitar Hero drum pad for that instead but ill bet it needs conditioning first (and another topic thread to stop any clutter here ;P)

1 Like