Help for big button

Hello everyone!
It’s been a week since I built my BIG BUTTON but I still can’t get it to work normally. I’ve completely dismantled and reassembled it 3 times but it won’t work. At the beginning I already had a lot of trouble uploading the code to my Arduino and now that it’s ok it’s the circuit that I have a problem with. The big button doesn’t blink. What’s strange is that I have only one LED flashing and giving me an output signal (this is the 6th output). I can program it any way I want with the big button and I can even clear what I did. But for the other 5, nothing happens! Reading “BIG BUTTON DIY build - Verified ???” I found this and tested the voltages…

Nothing good guys!!!
I get almost 0v every time. It could be from the 6 track selector that had a shock (I accidentally tapped it…) but the contacts are fine.

Hoping you can help me out!

Thanks
Enoha(I’m French so sorry about the spelling;)

1 Like

The resistors form a voltage divider, so you should expect the input 5 V to be split into 5 equal parts, as noted in the drawing. If you see 0 V everywhere, either the +5V connection is bad (either not connected or not 5 V), or the switch is broken.

4 Likes

Or the ground connection (that you’re using for your multimeter measurement) is bad.

(Says the guy who keeps forgetting which jack pin is ground and panics when he measures 0V on the tip)

5 Likes

I just did the voltage tests and it’s not a selector problem. Indeed the central pin is not at all connected to the ground of my power supply. And I don’t have a 5v input but it’s 4v. I say 4v to the ground of the power supply.
Is this due to the arduino or to bad wiring?

1 Like

:sweat_smile:everyone makes that kind of mistake.

The central pin should connect to output, not ground. Ground should connect to pin 1 and 5V to pin 6.

Well.

Actually, you should see about 3.0 to 4.2 V on pin 6, if you’ve wired it the way it’s shown. That’s because the way it’s shown is wrong. I believe that’s the way Sam built it, and it works for him, but it won’t give you 5 V at that pin. The problem is that the regulator is connected to VIN on the Arduino and it should not be; it should connect to 5V.

Anyway, whether you have 4V or 5V on rotary pin 6 you should have 4/5, 3/5, 2/5, and 1/5 of that on the other pins. If you don’t then either the switch is broken or you have bad connections to the resistors. If you don’t have any of the above voltages check the resistor between pins 6 and 5; if you have 4/5 but not 3/5 check the resistor between pins 4 and 5; and so on.

3 Likes

have you confirmed continuity between each input pin and the output pin when switched?

2 Likes

Yes the contacts are well made so I don’t think the selector is dead…

So I have about 0v at all pins of the selrctor😢

is your ground good? I take it you at least have 5v on the 1st input??

No in fact I have 4v between pin 6 of the selector and the gnd pin of the arduino. The 0v I get is between pin 6 of the selector and pin A0 of the arduino.

Remove the duino, we need to go back to basics.

Measure the output of the switch compared to your power supply ground.

1 Like

It’s going to be complicated because I soldered it on the circuits…
I’m stupid but I didn’t have any more pin strips😑

The only meaningful measurement is between the point marked 0V on the schematic, and each pin of the selector.

3 Likes

Right, people say “measure the voltage at point x” to be succinct but really you can’t measure voltage at a point, only voltage differences between two points, and what’s really meant is “measure the voltage difference between point x and ground”. You can measure to the Arduino ground pin although it might be easier to use the ground connection for your power source (- terminal if a battery).

If you try to measure between the switch and pin A0 then either it’s the switch terminal that’s connected to A0, in which case the voltage difference is by definition (practically) zero, or it’s not, in which case the voltage difference is… I dunno, probably will read zero, but anyway nothing useful.

2 Likes

The drawing did come with instructions :smiley:

3 Likes

Oh, well, instructions, if you’re going to read instructions and take all the fun out of it…

3 Likes

Oh sorry, I didn’t pay attention… :roll_eyes:
Anyway, when I redo my measurements I always get around 0v😑

1 Like

OK yes I hadn’t thought about it and I took the measurement believing that the central selector pin corresponded to the 0v…
It’s stupid :sweat_smile:

Yes sorry I’m an idiot because before creating this thread I had read your help and I had made the test😅…