Frequency Central MicroBus PCB Help

I’m hoping for the soundbender calendar next Christmas.

3 Likes

:christmas_tree: :santa: oh oh oh !

:rofl:

8 Likes

This is the one I got. It’s only 1.5 amps, but I think that’s not bad for the PSU.

Jameco Reliapro ADU120150E1012 AC to AC Wall Adapter Transformer 12V @ 1500 mA Straight 2.1 mm Female Plug, Black

2 Likes

Got my AC adaptor today from MyVolts and both PSUs work fine. I checked with a multi-meter and getting respectable readings from the expected places. :smiley:

7 Likes

Would you mind providing a link to the adapter you purchased?
Thanks!

Guess that’s the one I have too. Works, at least for several modules. I’m not sure if its limits are contributors to this problem.

2 Likes

Sure.

I got the premium one with an extension and in-line switch which works great.

That’s the one I have as well.

2 Likes

I had a weird issue with one where none of the leds lit up no matter what way they where in but i measured the pins and got the voltages i wanted so i said screw it and popped it in one of my boxes anyway

1 Like

Hi folks,

Total newb to electronics. I have managed to build a beautifully operating Kosmo-Euro hybrid, but now I want to expand and I need more power.

I haven’t found any resource that clearly explains wiring the microbus in parallel (in a way a 4 year old could understand). Does anybody know where I might find such a resource? LMNC’s video on cases and power supplies flashes past it a little too quick for me.

My plan is a case 4 rows high, 8 modules across. Some are half-size like the ADSR and dual buff multis, so it will be more like 12 modules per row. I figure I probably need 1 PSU per row.

Is it reasonable to wire 4 microbuses in parallel, fed from the same wall-wart? Or is that going to demand too much from a 12v 1000ma wall-wart?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :grin:

I’m seeing an average with my modules of about 35 mA (total on +12 and -12 V rails). Of course yours will probably differ, but using that, 12 modules per row comes to 420 mA. Add whatever your Eurorack demands from 5 V, if anything. The Microbus is rated to deliver ~500 mA (per rail, I think, which would be 1000 mA total), so one per row should be well within spec.

But that’s 4 times 420 mA or 1680 mA delivered to the modules, in terms of power about 20 VA. That’s well beyond your 1000 mA wall wart. And in fact FC recommends a 1000 mA wall wart to power one MicroBus. If each row’s pulling 420 mA, well under what the MicroBus is rated for, really that wall wart could probably power two PSUs, but not four. You can shop for a 2000 mA wall wart, but it might be easier just to use two 1000 mA or 1500 mA ones, two rows for each.

As for how:

2 Likes

That’s amazingly helpful! Thanks so much!

3 Likes

I’m new here, hello everyone. I am contacting you with a request regarding the DIY kit Frequency central micro bus, after powering all the cleaning components, I have 14.8V on the + 12V and - 12V pins and 5.8V on the + 5V pins
It is normal ? I would hate to destroy a module.
Does anyone have a solution where the problem is?
Used regulators L7812CV, L7912CV, MC78L05
Use 12VAC, 0.5A Wallwart

Thank you in advance for your help

I suppose one has to ask: Did you check it with more than one multimeter? Or have you checked a known voltage source with the same multimeter? Could be it’s out of calibration and the PSU is fine.

But if those measurements are correct then no, it’s not normal — regulation should be much better than that. But it’s odd because they’re different regulators for each voltage and all of them are too high. Why would all three regulators be wonky like that?

Are you measuring between regulator pin and ground? Using the VDC setting on the multimeter?

1 Like

Hallo , the truth is that I have a cheap multimeter , I will definitely try . I hadn’t thought of that . Thank you very much for your help and I really appreciate your time spent thinking about someone else’s thing. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. T003

yes man you are a genius , good news , I could not sleep until I solve it , I changed the batteries in the multimeter and I have + 12V and -12V and +5V , yes yes yes Thank you again T003

5 Likes