First steps in a new world of sound :) but something weird with Caps

hello everyone. Today I made my first oscillator… a very very basic one like probably all of you have already created. Using an S9018 as a transistor

I noticed something weird though. I tried different caps and I got a higher pitch from a 47uF than a 22uF
This is weird since as I understood correctly the higher the value, the lower the pitch, right?
Is it possible that the voltage rating of the caps plays a role in this. the 47uF is rated to 16V, the 22uF at 25V

here is a link to my instapost about it
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKcDo0_gAJU/

2 Likes

If you mean Sam’s super simple avalanche oscillator… something’s wrong. Higher capacitance should give lower pitch. Voltage rating would not have anything to do with that.

You weren’t misreading 4.7 µF as 47 µF, were you? (I have no Instagram account so can’t see what you did.)

ha yes… I first thought that is was 4.7uF… but … it clearsy said 47…
Might be an error on the silk though. cheap chinese cr*p probably. got them in an assorment box.

are there better caps to use? I will probably get all my caps at the same voltage and preferably from the same manufacturer to make sure.

I will check my wiring also to make sure… I noticed that I had the ground of my out-connector on positive voltage. weird that it worked in a sense

does it just say 47?

47uF actually. Like I said it was in a assortment box.
Might be a bad one. I will try to fond another and test again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you own a multimeter which is capable of measuring capacitors?

1 Like