Fart Box DIY Issues

Built the Fartbox finally (after buying the board at a gig last November) and thought i’d nailed it but doesn’t seem to power? I’ve checked all my soldering and seems “ok” :slight_smile:

The power supply i bought is the one in the link on the LMNC site (12v AC-AC) but when I test it on meter says it’s output is 14V not 12v is that the issue? Hoping I haven’t fried anything - any ideas what to test?
(ignore the switch it was cheap from eBay and fell apart to need to get another one :slight_smile: So rewired without it…

Wasn’t sure which things to test first?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

ugh, i want a FB PCB so freaking bad.

4 Likes

The LMNC link to the power supply is dead, so cannot check the specs, but the fartbox has +12V/−12V regulators on the PCB so it should handle 14 V AC (I assume RMS, otherwise that’s a bit low). Start by checking the regulator outputs – the DC voltage between pins 2 and 3 on the 7812 should be +12 V. Same for the voltage between pins 3 and 1 on the 7912.

2 Likes

Hi, after zooming in on your image, there seem (to me) to be some suspect solder joints, obviously this is guesswork as not got the board in my hands! :wink: see picture, I have circled in red any joint that you might want to revisit :+1:

Please don’t see this as a criticism, I may be completely wrong :crazy_face:
I used to get similar problems until it was pointed out to me :+1:

good luck with your build :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for the pointers and your time to reply folks - will check the connections again, soldering and then test the regulators too. So gutted it didn’t work first time - especially after buying all the nice knobs and expensive enclosure! will report back thanks again!

1 Like

I’ve just been testing something i built, left out a link completely, that had me scratching my head :wink: :crazy_face:

we all make mistakes and forget things … it’s normal :+1:

1 Like

Sometimes things just dont work the first time. Keep at it, reflow stuff, check connections are correct. If you begin to get frustrated, give the project some space and importantly, return later.

Procrastination can be a useful thing if channeled properly.

2 Likes

Tested the 7812 - 1.5v out! Will order some and give it a go… :slight_smile: thanks folks!

1 Like

indeed, it’s what i had to do earlier on in my VCLFO build, had to ask questions on here, problem solved within 24hrs thanks to fellow users.

can’t beat that for ‘user satisfaction’ :grin:

2 Likes

That could be because of a short somewhere, but of course the part could also just be bad. Other thought, how powerful is the power supply?

Says 12v on the supply but read 14v on the barrell not connected…

Yeah, I meant in terms of current, but I read that it’s the one Sam linked to so that’s unlikely to be the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is a 12V 2000ma (2A?) supply. I’ve replaced the Voltage Regulator but it got VERY hot, fried a capacitor (C7 just above the right AS53340 IC), shorted a diode (D11).
Replaced those but scared to try test anything again. Have checked all joints and looked over again but can’t see anything obvious :frowning:

Can you post a new shot of the component side of the board?

Yeah, that all looks nice and tidy to me, though you should probably clean off some of the solder flux. I would maybe put some small heat sinks on the regulators.

1 Like