Emozzi šŸ¶, an experimentation platform for Arduino Nano + Mozzi

I posted this little demo in the Build Progress thread, and it seemed to generate some interest, so might as well make a thread now, even if itā€™s still a WIP. Iā€™m working on Revision 2, which hopefully will be fit for distribution. Thereā€™s time to take your feedback and correct mistakes you might notice, but I probably wonā€™t add any feature request.

Okay so take a lšŸ‘€k:

(Peertube mirror without ads that wonā€™t embed on the forum: First tests of my Arduino Nano + Mozzi experimentation board - Diode Zone)

Itā€™s running one of @HAGIWOā€™s DCOs!

The plan is to distribute Gerbers + BOM + CPL that JLCPCB can produce, it cost me 20 French bucks for 5 boards with all the SMD critters bolted on.

I have a LOT to say, but all of it is already on my WIP web page, so thereā€™s no reason to copy-paste, go read it if interested and lemme know what you think! Thereā€™s time to modify things before Rev 2.

(The site AND the page AND the board are all a big WIP! Iā€™m working to soon have a site describing all my builds past and future)

5 Likes

Jean-Luc DeladriĆØre came up with this MozMo module a few years back.

I built one with an Arduino Nano, using Mr Sensoriumā€™s HiFi mode filter.

I never got it to work very well, but maybe sharing some ideas here will inspire me again.

I2S DAC?

Reading GitHub - sensorium/Mozzi: sound synthesis library for Arduino, I wonder if the purple PCM5102 DAC I used for MiniDexed might work for Mozzi.

My platform should be able to share software as-is with the MozMo! Itā€™s similar but we expose different kind of I/O.

As for the PCM5102, why add such a powerful DAC to the Duino? Its tiny CPU would struggle making use of it I think. From my perspective sound comes out from dual PWM in HIFI mode, and the MCP4725 is just to output precise DC.

1 Like

I love the Cursed Footprint! The flexibility of combining the footprints of pots and jacks (and switches and bottoms?) is a fantastic idea. Iā€™m working on an all-purpose control panel-slash-I/O board and Iā€™m definitely going to try to work that technique in!

The Cursed Footprint was hell to Tetris around and looks intimidating, though.

Iā€™m not sure how to best explain how it works in a way that wonā€™t intimidate peopleā€¦ So far, this is the best I could come up with:

2 Likes

No, I totally understand it! You jump one set of pads to use it as a pot, the other for a jack. The tact switch breaks out to one of the pot jumper pads, and the row of holes below the footprint are breakouts for connecting wires to IO/control components that are panel mounted instead of PCB mounted. One pin is for pots, one for jacks, and they share a common ground pin. It makes total sense. Perhaps that means Iā€™m a bit mad myself, but Iā€™ve been in the headspace of thinking about exactly this sort of thing lately, so maybe that helped.