Dub-Style Delay Feedback Done Wrong vs. Right

I discovered yesterday that I have been creating dub-style echo feedback incorrectly for 20 years :exploding_head:. The correct way is to get the feedback close to 100 and then use a mid boost to push it over the edge. Sounds much better. To wit:

4 Likes

Nice! You mean this as opposed to just riding the fader on the delay return?

Total aside - how do you find the Model 24? I’ve been dying to get a multitrack mixer for ages but everything a bit out of my price range. I’ve heard the soundcraft MTKs are decent but heard dodgy things about build quality…

Yes, I do it wrong, then right in the video. So far really pleased with the Model 24. The choice was indeed between that and the Souncraft MTK. I recon the effects are more flexible in the Soundcraft, but ultimately the onboard multitrack recording was what I wanted. The Soundcraft is also getting a little long in the tooth and I worry about long term macOS support. If I was on Windows, that would be less of a concern. The Tascam also just looks nicer and I’m a sucker for that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ah! Yeah just rewatched and clocked - second does sound better, don’t know if it’s just driving the delay a bit more having the boost but it’s got that slight grain to it.

Innit, wood panels and gold faceplates :eyes:

How is ‘editing’ tracks on the recorder? I used to borrow a mates digital tascam thing and I found it fine to just record straight onto, but if i made a mistake on one track it’d be a nightmare to try and delete a section from a specific track and re-record it etc.

It’s all about which frequencies get fed back. Full spectrum makes it sound a lot muddier and is also harder to control.

I don’t really plan on using the editing features. I’m mostly just interested in doing single takes, but still have stems available to mess with in Ableton or, best case scenario, for remixers and mastering engineers.

1 Like