DIY Video Synthesis Thread

Is anyone into the Video Synth side of things?

I just built my E-Z Bake and was wondering if anyone has ever messed with one of these?

It is a breadboard adapter for proto’ing video circuits.

1 Like

Nope! Doesnt mean im not interested though! Whats this ish all about anyways?

I saw this a few weeks ago:

I think it only works on older TVs so you’d need some kind of composite to HDMI converter (if that would even work) for a modern TV but

2 Likes

dude thank you, ive hadnt seen this one yet!!

I just got in the rest of my parts today to start working on Jonas Bers CHA/V pcb.
I am super excited to get it up and running!!

If you scroll way down on that Dorkwave, he shows a way to grab a composite signal from a raspberry pi :smiley:
That would eliminate the need for any kind of converter since it will display an A/V signal that could easily be mixed into with a dirty mixer :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

What about output? It looks like it’s RCA all around for IO. Do modern TVs still take the signal from this thing? Could you even record it to a file? I think it’s all analog (which is still awesome but a little inconvenient.)

1 Like

a lot of video synth stuff is analog.
If you look into stuff by LZX, they step into the digital realm as well.

There are some people out there in this FB group called Video Circuits who do some amazing things with vector scanning, illustrator, and various things like that.

I have seen some take to MAX MSP and pre render algorithms for both audio and visuals.
It all amazes me but some of it is way beyond over my head at this time haha.

So the idea behind the raspberry pi, is to create the a/v output, basically forcing the signal, and if you were to dirtily mix it, you could have an out of sync, attenuate-able visual signal :slight_smile:

So right now, I am using an NES to force an AV signal to a DVI/VGA Monitor as well as a powered converter. I run the NES into the dirty mixer and my casio SK-1 with a video out mod into the mixer as well lolol.
Its basic for now but fun.
I am totally going to build this dorkwave thing and add that into the mix :smiley:

As for newer tv’s. IDK. im poor. bahahaha.

Most visuals look better on CRT in my personal opinion. :slight_smile: I wants to see them scanliiinnnneeess :stuck_out_tongue:

Finished my CHA/V tonight!

4 Likes

Lookit da pretty colors!

1 Like

“CHAV”-LOL! Is it marketed by a UK company by any chance?

1 Like

US - Cheap and Hacky Audio / Visual :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finished my Video Summing Mixer, the “MHzxER” from akirasrebirth (based on Simple DIY Video Summing Mixer by Lars Larsen)

Will work for both Audio and Video, has 2 Inputs for 3 Channels and 2 Inputs for an Inverted Channel.

Based on LM6172’s.

1 Like

Simple DIY Video Bandwidth VCA - Original Schematic by: Lars Larsen (LZX Industries)

and

Simple DIY Video Bandwidth Crossfader - Original Schematic by: Lars Larsen

Both are base on the LT1251 (a Video Fader and DC Gain Controlled Amplifier)

1 Like

A little light reading on the LM1881 before bed! :slight_smile:

Figured I should throw this on this thread as well, since that is what this thread is meant for :slight_smile:

• This is a full .PNG export from DIYLC vs the other pictures in the other thread.
    I did this to allow for full-res view :slight_smile:

Schele Video Mixer v1 by Gijs Gieskes
Schele-mixer-schematic-600

Layout File for DIYLC <-------------

1 Like

KOSMO controlling the CHA/V

3 Likes

Almost done with the Schele Mixer!
Realized I have no BAT42’s, so those will be here tomorrow.

Had to get creative with the Potentiometer… lol…
When I was working on this initially, I neglected to account for the height difference between the RCA inputs and the pot. Lol…

2 Likes

Your layouts are always so neat, one of these days i might get some perf board and give building these tidy boards a try.

2 Likes

So true. Is there a standard tool for that? Frizzing doesn’t have the option that I know of and illustrator is so tedious…

tbh, I do not think there is lol.

There is a tool however for cutting out a section of the board, so the way I have done it up there should actually be doable in DIYLC lol.

I’ll try. brb. :stuck_out_tongue: