Beginners Video Synth Projects

Ever since going to a Nam June Paik exhibition pre-lockdown, I’ve been mad into the idea of video synths. Now that I’m nearing finishing my first KOSMO case, I’m thinking of taking a bit of time to do some video synth projects.

The first thing I’m going to do is the CHA/V (https://jonasbers.com/chav/) and I’ve also found this thing, which looks pretty cool: https://glitchart.com/shop/fluxus-kit/ (if a bit dear for what you get in the kit, but that might just be because I’m a stingy student-for-life)

I was wondering if anyone’s got any recommendations for other similar projects? In particular for cheap to build, weird bits of kit - if it could interact with the modular stuff that’d be awesome. I’d love a whole LZX set up but I’m just looking to dip my toes in the water. Hell, if it all goes well who knows, maybe we’ll end up with some KOSMO format video modules!

4 Likes

You need to get with @d42kn355.

5 Likes

Actually, it’s quite easy to create a VGA signal, you can even do it with an Arduino.

There are five signals: Horizontal and Vertical sync (digital), and RGB (analog). You can easily generate the HS/VS signals with an Arduino, that’s just pulses after all. And for the colors, you can draw basic images with it, but that’s quite complicated and not what you want. You can also simply hook three pots on the RGB signal, this will give you a plain color.

Keep in mind that the analog signals vary from 0V (black) to 0.7V (full color), and that during the sync pulses, you must ‘blank’ the color signals (put them to 0V).

If you need more info/help, do not hesitate to contact me!

4 Likes

The Cadet Series from LZX would be an excellent place to start -

Otherwise yeah man, CHA/V is super fun!
Jonas is active in the FB group called Video Circuits, I highly suggest joining it.
Chris King has a bunch of resources pinned.

Look a bit into Vector Synthesis as well, it will blow you away.

I would also join the LZX Video Synth Community as there is a wealth of information there.
Lars is a fucking genius.

Worth a mention is the 3TRINSRGB+1C… I want one of these SO badly. There are resources with information like the schematics and such out there as well - GIESKES

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

the 2 basics if you go with Eurorack style - or scaling them up for KOSMO are a SYNC Generator and an RGB Encoder - after that - step/key generation, video mixing, etc.
Some Audio level modules can and will modulate a video signal, but most cannot handle the videos bandwidth.
Video really is a whole other realm of intrigue.

2 Likes

Here is also a basic “Dirty Video Mixer” Tutorial :slight_smile:

This circuit was originally created by Karl Klomp and many often reference this circuit.

2 Likes

Woah! loads of stuff to be getting on with.

yes! I know this thing! I saw a video of it ages and ages ago but couldn’t remember the name of it, so I spent ages basically just googling ‘combination of letters and numbers’+1 video synth haha. Didn’t work. Think that’d be a good second project, looks a bit more advanced than the other bits.

The mixer looks great too, I think I basically have all the parts for that kicking around anyway.

I’d love to join the fb groups but I don’t have any social media any more - ditched them all a while ago. I do miss some of the groups though, they’re a great source of knowledge

4 Likes