DIY Video Synthesis Thread

Ok, so the cutout doesn’t actually omit the section from the board… lol

but anyway, here it is updated with switches in place of the DIP and I rearranged the layout a little bit on the Panel.

1 Like

That’s just freaking brilliant!

2 Likes

Yeah I thought so too!

Got creative with the RCA Inputs as well.

The Output is currently hot glued in place, but I’ll likely replace it with a panel mountable rca jack in the future.

1 Like

… it doesn’t work… -_-

sigh… it seems there is nothing happening at the regulator, or before it… but the 10pin is getting power…

Sigh…

I have off tuesday… I’ll probably reflow everything then.

Super disappointed on this one… spent a rather long time on this lol.

• on the plus side - I found a 20 inch CRT sitting in our garage that we didnt know we had… lol - it works SO much better than a VGA monitor ( they constantly blue screen when sync gets pulled in all directions lol)
2 Likes

Dont give up! its prolly just a dry joint or sometin. Ive been rebuilding everything ive made so far that wasnt working, and i got it right the 2nd time.

2 Likes

Could we have a pic from the solder side?

WOOOOHOOOO!

As per Caustics advice, I Re flowed everything and noticed something while doing so.
I remember screwing up a pad and thinking earlier on that it was insignificant, lol… well… it happened to be the pad almost directly after the input for + voltage :joy::joy:

Well, we can’t have a working module with no power… lol

Bridge added :slight_smile:

Here she be in the little rack frame I made!

And here is the Schele + Dirty Mixer + CHA/V :slight_smile:
4 Likes

Can anyone take a guess at what I’m getting ready to do :smiley:

3 Likes

It Werks! :smiley:

4 Likes

I have no idea what’s going on here. The subject appears to be an old sprite-based game. I can’t judge the results because I don’t understand why anybody would choose to use electronics to hack a software-based medium. Maybe I’m just too much of a software guy.

2 Likes

lol…
Just shorting the VRAM inside the system ^^
It is one of fun ways to trip out the background layers on most of the earlier consoles ^
^

2 Likes

Next up is this bad boy :smiley:
Based on the Archer Video Enhancer Mods by SYNTONIE

Which is based on the original Archer Video Enhancer Schematic that someone traced up some time ago.

ave_972

3 Likes

It’s been said already but I have to add…its all so neat!

3 Likes

Shorting part of a RAM-chip, to influence what is being displayed?! Remarkable that the chip is not blown up in the process. With video manipulation it seems to me to be so much more difficult to get something visually pleasing than with audio manipulation (don’t take this the hard way). Our human visual sense is very well developed I think, and as a consequence when looking at the manipulated images it immediately gives me the sense that the machine is just broken. This I think is caused by the contrast of the ‘perfect’ image from the video game and the much more noisy and much more difficult to interpret images after the manipulation. If you were to start not from a ‘perfect’ image, this could I think be an entirely different experience. Does that make sense?

Then again if you were to throw out a few bits here and there from an audio stream, it would probably end up being sonically similar to what you are doing here.

1 Like

I Did a processing sketch a few years ago… it’s not really a video synth but it were fun visuals.

The first sketch translated information from a xbox kinect to visuals i could control in Ableton during my live set. I’ve used this one for a live show was pretty nice! it’s me that is dancing in this video LOL. all of the visuals were live no prerecorded video’s

these where such fun times!

3 Likes

For some reason, @Jos comment made me think of the works of the master of design constraints, lft:

4 Likes

Ha, shake that booty !

1 Like

i like mostly the first one, really good !

1 Like

is it right that you grab the -12V and make 5 V out of it? Can`t you just take the 5 V from the eurorack directly?

1 Like