DC power options

Hello, I’m very much a beginner and would love some help. I’m planning a simple ‘modular’, it’s hopefully going to be a AAAPPPCCC plus a few other bits (YMNK’s arpeggiator if that works with what I’m planning plus some distortion, probably some more oscillators…)

I have a kit to build a bipolar power supply, but most of the little builds I want to try seem to take DC.

I’m looking for advice how to power multiple modules from a DC supply. I have a guitar pedal power supply but it’s centre neg. Was wondering if I could build some sort of little distro board that takes in 12V DC from a socket then just splits it out in parallel to a few other boards (via regulators where needed)

I’m not really sure the best way to go about this.

https://lookmumnocomputer.discourse.group/t/power-supplies-choices/357/152

2 Likes

It’s DC I’m after, to power multiple circuits.

A bipolar supply is just two DC supplies. The same principles apply.

1 Like

That is what that topic is about.

1 Like

What I mean is, the circuits I’m most likely to make don’t need a bipolar supply. So I’m looking at whether I can just take a simple 0 - 12VDC supply and wire it in parallel to my circuits. I was wondering if anyone had done that.

I think I’ll try the guitar pedal approach but with a centre positive supply. I need to figure out how to calculate current draw I guess!

I think what we’re trying to say is that it’s the same thing, just once in stead of twice. Yes, you can do that.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I was over-complicating it in my head.

Just to say, the Arpegiator is made to send a 1V / octave signal, and I don’t believe the A … P … C … have a 1V / oct. CV IN. You will be able vary your pitch but not get tuned notes like with a VCO.
but the effect can be interesting anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I just wanna warble the frequencies about a bit :D. I’m using this build to try a few things out and learn, if I can make some weird noises along the way that suits my style anyway :slight_smile:

Cheers for the heads up!

3 Likes

Of course the beauty of the arduino is it might be possible to adapt the code to make the warbles behave in more appropriate ways…

3 Likes