DAW Ins and Outs Module?

Hi all,

New to the Kosmo format but already love what I have seen. I have looked through the whole Kosmo thread but can’t see anything regarding modules that will take a balanced line from a daw and boost it up to modular level.

Is that still something that needs to happen in the Kosmo format? I know it is with euro rack.

Apologies if I have missed something obvious but looking to get either a mono signal or stereo balanced into a kosmo rig so I can play around with effects etc on vocals and anything else.

Best,

Luke

1 Like

Electrically, Kosmo is basically the same as Eurorack. Just bigger, with 1/4" jacks. So yes. I don’t know that anyone’s done a Kosmo format module for line level input, but if you know of a DIY Eurorack module that’ll do what you want, you could adapt it to the Kosmo panel format. Alternatively, maybe a modification of the Ken Stone Stomp Box Adapter could work, it’s made to take instrument level to synth level and back. Really it’s just a passive attenuator on one end and a simple gain stage on the other.

3 Likes

Ok great, really helpful thanks dude. Mosaic make some nice little 1u in and out modules so maybe I can just make a Kosmo size panel that will house them sort of thing.

Will check out the Ken Stone Stomp Box adapter though for sure as could also work well.

Cheers mate.

1 Like

Stomp box adapter is here

and there’s a commercial DIY Eurorack version here

3 Likes

Amazing, I am ideally gonna find one that takes a balanced signal as that is what is gonna be coming out of my DAW. I currently use a reamp box to convert that to instrument level to then go into some pedals. If I can avoid that step then I am laughing all the way to the bank!

Will check these links out for sure.

I am mainly looking to run audio out of my DAW and into a bunch of cool fx modules in my kosmo rig so on the hunt for some interesting ones out there.

I guess the joy of the format though is I can use normal eurorack modules as well by 1/4 to 1/8 inch cables?

1 Like

welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

yes, and for more info about Kosmo format there’s this thread

and also a thread about the Stomp box adapter (with infos, stripboard …)

3 Likes

Amazing!

Thanks for the welcome , great to have found the forum!

Will continue my search for a diy balanced level in to modular booster PCB etc and share if I find. Just to avoid buying another re amp box etc

Pumped to get my first build started!!

3 Likes

I made a dual Kosmo version using two of the AI Synthesis pcb’s and a blank panel someone had made.

side note I use 3.5 mm jacks so it is easier to integrate with my euro rack modules .
and this is a stomp box / fx adapter .

4 Likes

Cool!

Could this be used as an in and out then from my DAW? If my daw went straight into the fx in? The gain be enough to boost line level signal to Modular level in your experience?

1 Like

yes it should work, and you only need the right part of the diagram of the stomp box adapter circuit (the signal increase)

maybe test it on breadboard before

here is mine too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think I know what you mean but at the same time I could also have no idea!!!

This is all new to me as so far I have just completed full diy kits of guitar pedals etc where everything is laid out on the pcb with all parts.

I haven’t used a breadboard yet so think that is the next stage as can’t seem to find a pcb with BOM for what I am after, I want to understand it just a lot of new information coming at my brain!!!

When you say I only need the right part is that for just one channel of the increase for a mono signal?

Appreciate your time replying to all of the above, you guys on the forum are super helpful, lucky to have stumbled across it!!

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking that all I need is the input, the gain boost then the out? So I can just take that part of the stompbox adapter circuit and ignore the send and return part?

yes for mono

i think you need only this part

and maybe double it for stereo

2 Likes

It’s designed with instrument level in mind, which is lower than line level, so you would presumably want to adjust component values for that. Also, for instrument input you need a high input impedance, usually around 1M — the first resistor there. I don’t really know what input impedance is appropriate for line level input but I would presume lower, maybe much lower.

Maybe some confusion on my part but stereo and balanced are two different things so, if you need stereo, you would need two copies of the circuit, one for each channel — and you would also need two synths, or anyway one synth with two of each module, one for each channel. If you need balanced inputs, that’s another thing, there’s some discussion here. I guess you can just add something like this

Figure 6

before the stomp box adapter input.

3 Likes

Ok great, thanks for the clarification mate.

Next step is finding somewhere to learn how to go from schematic to breadboard so I can try this out for real!

1 Like

Ok cool, will have a look and see if this can make sense to my brain

Or maybe not? From here:

Hi-Z In - accepts outputs from transducers such as guitar pickups and contact microphones. It is also suited for amplifying low-level signals from tape machines, tuners etc.

There’s some discussion here but not for DIY stuff. They’re saying to just use a VCA with enough gain… which seems to me a waste of a VCA, a non voltage controlled amp would make more sense. And of course that would be for a mono, unbalanced signal. But the takeaway is that a 100k input impedance amplifier would do it, and from the above it sounds like 1M is also okay. The balanced input I pasted above, though, is 20k (ish). Maybe balanced inputs need the lower impedance.

6 Likes

ok cool, will let this sit in the brain and see if my understanding of how to make this a reality improves with more reading and learning. Thanks for all the info

2 Likes

just came across this on Tindie

3 Likes

YES! Your legend, this is exactly what I need and so well priced!

THANKS

2 Likes