Crystals/ fungi controlling synths?

Hey I’m not sure if anyone else has seen these, but apparently there are videos on youtube of people controlling modular synths with quartz crystals, and even some mushrooms and fungus. Is this possible? And if so how is it possible and does anyone know how to do it?

4 Likes

You can make a number of cool resonance products with quartz crystal and other matter (I did experiment with a starter rock collection my mother gave me one birthday in a desperate attempt to find a “nice hobby”)
Fungus, like some other bio-matter has a measurable variation in conductivity and capacitance. Never tried it though.

2 Likes

Not again! We just recovered from SkyNet!
And now we are doing it again?! Human kind evidently does not learn from its mistakes.

As soon as the mushroom notices ( this may take a while because its nervous system is rather limited ) that it is connected via your midi interface, DAW and WiFi to the internet, DOOM is upon us!

3 Likes

Hey! Shrooms just ain’t like that!

1 Like

Are you sure they didn’t get to you already? Is this really you responding?

[Edit] Obviously It does not make any sense me asking this because I can never check who is answering. As I said: we are doomed, DOOMED.

1 Like

Hey! You know me! Im a fun guy :smiley:
And we know where you live :wink:

:mushroom:

1 Like

3 Likes

Using the Instruo Scion biofeedback module…

3 Likes

Ooh! Has anyone a good DIY source for this kind of thing. Or a source for analogue or arduino based capacitive/resistive circuits.
My Girlfriend owns a florist shop and I’d love to build something someday to play with it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Instruo module is apparently based on something called Midisprout / Plantwave which I believe is open source.

Here’s a BBC Autumnwatch segment on the sound of shitake mushrooms growing.

Edit: here is the GitHub repository for MIDI Sprout.

2 Likes

@ChristianBloch

yall remember this one?

3 Likes

My first thought was … Aw. Guardian Sam. Hasn’t he grown. :smiley:

Ok, signing off while I check my meds. X

2 Likes

But do take a look here at these kits.
If I had the money I’d get one and really “play” my gear. I’m sure there are some arduino projects too.

1 Like

With Crystals, I assume they just make a very crude primitive version of oscillators, but more likely they use the current of whatever object they choice as controller, it can be plants, crystals, or fungus, even people!, it is just resistance of the material(and than would change with living things, since cells are naturally occilating) determining the remaining output.
I assume it is what Scientology use in their stress tests, or when those New age claims their can hear plants or crystals “speak”. Nothing doom over it, just like hearing the force of electricity, that normally is invisible to us.