Chromatic scale note quantiser

This is my concept does anyone think it would work

3 Likes

It looks like you are using the successive approximation method for analog to digital conversion applied to finding the value set by the potentiometer. That should work for linear quantization of the potentiometer values. Are you doubting it will work? You will of course need some more circuitry to ‘read’ the value.

2 Likes

Hi If I can set the output steps of the DAC to 0.083 volts I think it should work. What do you think?

2 Likes

Seems no reason why it wouldn’t work, except that the comparator output won’t be the quantized CV, the output of the DAC will. And I don’t know how fast you can make it, but I’d guess fast enough. On the other hand, a microcontroller based solution might be simpler to implement (or might not!). I have a quantizer built around an Arduino Nano

though it’s intended to be much more general than this, quantizing to arbitrary scales rather than solely to equally tempered chromatic.

Just thinking aloud: Would it not work to just use a suitably configured ADC chip followed by a DAC?

3 Likes

The steps and mechanics are fine but pitch is logarithmic like volume this is more linear. If you get the volt per note correct you’ll have an equal temperament quantizer sure but the big opportunity would be to create microtonal and wild block scales.
The exponential quantizer is logarithmic through the analogue of the transistor. (A happy musical accident) .
Build it but make the cent per tone gap adjustable and see what you get. Looking forward to seeing it.

2 Likes