Braids THT in KOSMO format

Staying with the hair arrangement theme: plaits.

Thatā€™s already been used (by Mutable Instruments)
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/plaits/

1 Like

Use Kosmo-plaits, then.

Thatā€™d be even worse than Kosmo_Braids, itā€™d imply a Kosmo version of Plaits.

1 Like

Good point! But hairstyles seem a good source! Maybe dreads or wigs? :wink:

I assumed that Plaits was just another circumlocution for an adaptation of the same module. Oh well. Notbraids.

1 Like

Yeah, Plaits is the successor, but quite different.

In fact KosmoBraids (capitalized and spaced as you like) seems to respect the wish of M.I. to me.
And it clearly indicate what it is. And sets a ā€œstandardā€ for porting other modules overā€¦

Or JumboBraids, because Kosmo panels are bigger than Eurorack ones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i just finished mine. it works somehow, but i have some noise issues. there is a somewhat digital noise, sometimes itā€™s just crackeling, sometimes itā€™s a sort of white noise swoooosh and sometimes itā€™s gone.
i used a polarized 10uF cap instead of a non-polarized one for C24.
also i used a MCP3204 CI/P analog to digital converter, instead of MCP3204 BI/P as in the BOM.
the datasheet says the CI/P has a higher integral nonliearity than the BI/P (Ā±2 as opposed to Ā±1 LSB, whatever that meansā€¦). could that be the problem?
also, when i powered it the first time, i did it without the TL072 and 074 in place, all other chips were in their sockets. maybe that fried something?
oh and the modulation knob does not appear to do anything at the moment. only tested with droning audio out, no cv or fm inputs connected.
open to suggestions.
on another note - i never thought i would ever say that, but i think i need smaller knobsā€¦

8 Likes

Awesome!! On the modulation: It only works for the Timbre CV, I think! So, you connect a CV to the Timbre Socket and then move modulation knob to determine how much it does! It is an attenuverter, so if you put it on 12 I clock nothing happens. I improved the panel in that regard for the next version.

For the noise: I can hear some noise in the chord modesā€¦

4 Likes

ok, makes sense. i have the noise in every mode, itā€™s definitely not supposed to be there.
cheers

1 Like

so, nicolas from sound-force suggests adding 3x 22r or 47r termination resistors on the SPI lines between the bluepill and the DAC. this involves cutting 3 traces on the pcb.
@sebastian is it easy to find them on your version? i donā€™t have my pcb here right now.
in his updated v1.2 schematic he already included those resistors:
grafik

3 Likes

there they are on the v1.2 pcb:
Unbenannt-1

3 Likes

Here they are on my board (I left the brain board unmodified, just a bit of silkscreen stuff)
Should be relatively easy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i wired in the 3x 47r resistors. used a piece of stripboard because it would have been a mess soldering on both sides of the pcb otherwise.
it improved the noise problem a lot, but in some modes there is still that crackling sound, especially when turning the timbre and color pots :confused:

3 Likes

Ok i donā€™t know what happened bu as soon as i put it in the rack all noise was gone :smiley: works like a charme now

4 Likes

Good to hear! I will try the resistors as well!

3 Likes

Hello, i am attempting to build a THT Braids, problem is the 128kb STM32F103C8T6 are not available anymore, they seem to be replaced by these :

ā‚¬ 1,22 | STM32 noir pilule compatible IC APM32F103C 128KB Flash

On the description it claims to be STM32F103C8T6 compatible so i ordered a bunch of itā€¦ but i am wondering if it can be an issue ?

I ordered your pcbā€™s and panels i am so excited i will at least build 2 or 3 !! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cool! I first got bluepills that were too small, because it was changed on the shop. Then I ordered these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33016025354.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.6.11f3635blwTQ61
Which work, but maybe they also changed by now? Also they took 3 months to arrive here.
I got some from eBay (UK) then, which said that they were compatible and 128k and they work, so I guess yourā€˜s might too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We will see then !! Ty for your answer !