Bitcrushed Karaoke?

Hey all!

I found this bitcrusher pedal circuit: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/10/analog-bit-crusher.html

I think I may try and attach something like that to my cheap karaoke dynamic microphone. The dynamic only has a hot wire and a ground, so I’m wondering if this is a possibility.

Am I right to assume that I can just place this circuit in series with the rest of the microphone?

3 Likes

So after doing some thinking and some reading, I’ve found I should be able to just slap the circuit in the mic. I know it’s sort of silly to do so, but I like the idea of a bitcrushing franken-mic.

Wish me luck! I’ll post updates once I get the parts in :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can you draw a schematic for this, so that it will be easier to understand for many people what the circuit does?

4 Likes

I’ll draw something out soon, I haven’t had much time in the last few days

1 Like

Interesting- the link has a strip board layout with a pair of 072s, a FET of some kind and a bunch of passives. It wouldn’t be a bit crusher in the sense of converting to digital and downsampling, so it will be cool to hear the results!

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not actually bitcrushing per se, but I think it’ll get the job done for making vocals sound tech-grungy.

By the by, my schematic design knowledge is entry-level, so it may take me some time to get it down. Any recommendations for software?

3 Likes

I think @Caustic did a “how to” on using EasyEDA here somewhere. It’s all on line and pretty easy to get the gist of.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find it, but I did find this thread: Schematics (understanding and drawing them)

I’ll probably skim over it and see what I can find

1 Like

I used EasyEDA for a little while, it’s good, but I switched over to KiCad. It requires installation and is more complex but it has good features and a great library of parts, and it suits me better.

Pretty good tutorial series here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy2022BX6EspFAKBCgRuEuzapuz_4aJCn

Eagle, on the other hand, don’t get me started. It’s been incorporated into a molasses slow piece of bloatware called Fusion 360. Even if it was good, there’s no Linux version, but I did install it on my old Mac to convert some Eagle files to a KiCad-importable format. Even just doing that was painful.

4 Likes

I think I’ll learn w/ EasyEDA for the time being. I like that it’s browser based and I don’t want to get overwhelmed with too many features.

2 Likes