Baby 8 step sequencer schematic

i have another question about my schematic.

with +12V for powering the CD4017 , is there a risk to have a too high signal on the CV output ?
Gate out ? (even there’s a 10k for the gate)

edit : i put again my drawing maybe more simple

2 Likes

Indeed it will be up to 12V on the CV output.
You can place a resistor before the pot to lower that voltage:
(assuming that you have a 100k potentiometer and that you want 5V max, you need a 140k resistor)
More info: https://old.telec16.fr/?p=pratique/utils_elec

Also, if you have only one gate out, you may want some sort of retrig signal too, because two consecutive gates will be seen as one long gate.

3 Likes

thank you a lot @telec16 !!!

1 Like

Minus a diode drop, but yes.

Also up to 12 V minus diode drop on the gate out. There you can add a resistor to ground before the jack, for instance 680R gives you a little less than 5 V, or higher values to give you larger output.

Another option is to AND the gate out with the clock, though that might shorten the gate more than you want.

4 Likes

so i add this complet schem for the trigger out

and now i have gate and trigger out jack

add a 140K resistor on CV pot for decrease the cv signal out to 5V

and add a 680R on the out gate

can i do the same (680R) to trigger out jack now

this the complet schem that i take for some idea
it’s strange here there are no resistor at all with 15V for the output voltage

1 Like

I guess Stone and Herrmann’s synths are designed to allow gates that large. And ideally all synths should be, too, but not everyone protects their inputs that well.

Also ideally all synths should set a low threshold, a volt or two, for gates, but some insist on higher.

The Kosmo spec topic says

and I’m surprised I haven’t started an argument about that. (So I just did.) 4 V minimum is way too high.

4 Likes

No argument here. The fact that something this basic is not made clear or standardized by professional manufacturing is a shame that makes blue smoke of retail and DIY alike. Im just a fanatic about buffering and attenuation.

2 Likes

I could be rly interested in a verified stripboard layout :grinning:

3 Likes

I think we’re all interested. Dud’s previous stripboard submissions have been excellent. No pressure @Dud :wink:

1 Like

Let the guy breadboard it first!

2 Likes

that’s nice, but sorry you must be confusing with someone else, i think i never posted a verified stripboard.
I have the software recently, and I had to post a layout stripboard for a CVLFO, Active real ring modulator, Dual Sloth Chaos, Dual Balter delay gate, Multi PWM and the Baby 8 but all not verified :sleepy:

I have nothing to test without removing modules from old cases (i never do it), i wait to make a new case with power and test all module one by one.

Other layout done but not posted, a Manual Dial phone gate, a Dual Jostick / Wheel CV and a Triple LFO.

4 Likes

the power (V+) at the CV output is proportionnal with the power of the clock signal input ? or with the power of the IC ? thx

All these screenshot look familiar, I guess you already found this page. If not, I leave it here nevertheless. Nice collection around the topic.

1 Like

Of the IC.
I don’t think it is really proportional, more like some constant value below Vcc, whatever Vcc is.

1 Like

Pas d’erreur, juste une imagination positive. J’adore vos schémas de croquis et c’est formidable de les voir venir au stripboard. Bonne chance mon ami!

1 Like

thanks @eric

merci beaucoup à toi, ça fait toujours plaisir :smiley:

1 Like

If I’m reading the datasheet right, the high output voltage is 0.05 V below Vdd minimum, and equal to Vdd typically. So with +12 V supply the high outputs at the pins are at least +11.95 V, typically +12 V. Low is 0 V.

2 Likes

the layout with all mods

3 Likes

Can I suggest an additional mod at this point? A chain mod to add several baby8s together. Just a thought?

2 Likes

good idea with an AND gate with diodes, a switch jack , i see … the reset part seams more complicated

1 Like