AS3340 VCO /w hard/soft sync, FM modulation

Very nice! I just finished my first 3340 stripboard using the LMNC simple 1V/Oct layout, it’s up and running but the pitch wobble on the PWM is pretty severe. I know this is common for the 3340 but I was wondering if there’s a way to help control it? Does the capacitor/resistor combo on the pulse out on your layout help with this?

Also, I’ve noticed that a lot of PCB circuits I’ve built have a circuit around the power with a series of capacitors between the power rails and ground (I’m not sure what you call this?) I’ve noticed you’ve not done this either, but I’m wondering if it’s why my Frequency Central 3340 osc doesn’t wobble on PWM much but this layout does…

1 Like

for the bypass cap on the power supply you have some info here

PWM it’s with an external signal in PWM input, and the PWM pot ajust the level of signal in to zero to max , there should be no problem with that, I think you are talking about the PW pot

for PW pot you can add a trimmer pot on the pot for adjust what you want
(to pin 1 or 3 or both of the pot)

but did i understand well your problem?

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! Yeah apologies, I guess I mean the PW pot - it’s just the pitch change is most noticeable when you use the modulation. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood, but does the trim pot on the PW pot not just change the points where the duty cycle reaches 0%/100% to stop getting the total cut out at those points? Either way, I’ll stick that in tonight and have a go

The PW should not change the pitch of the note, it works only with the Square wave and acts on its pulse length :
pulse width

exact, , I think I misunderstood your problem, and I’m not sure I understand it now (sorry it’s not my language :slight_smile:)

Here’s a quick vid! I forgot to include that it does it on all outputs, not just the pulse. Now I think about it there was one thing I did different from the stripboard layout - I didn’t have a 620R resistor so used a 680R instead, but thought that might be close enough…

Also, note the dead zones after about 1 o’clock - deffo need that trimpot :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

LOL yup i had that happen, and its not normal. Check your grounds! Check your connections!

3 Likes

Are we talking about the resistor to −12 V? That one limits the current through the internal zener on the negative supply rail. Sam uses 620 ohm in the stripboard layout, 680 in the performance synth and the fart box, so should be ok, unless perhaps you load the circuit more than usual. The datasheets recommend slightly lower values.

You could try measuring the voltage on pin 3; it should be around −7.2 V on the CEM and −7.4 V on the AS, if I remember correctly.

5 Likes

Right that’s good to know about the resistor. Measured pin 3 and it’s -7.32 on an AS3340, so about right?

I’m gonna have a go over it and reflow everything. I’ve given it one go over already but fingers crossed

1 Like

If it doesn’t work, I’ll call it vibrato

2 Likes

So, I kept playing with it and managed to make some headway - I’ve now limited the pitch drift to about the the last 10% of the duty cycle. Not perfect but certainly much better!

I stumbled across this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=231130 and saw lots people repeating the problem (especially with the AS3340, like I’m using). I managed to treat the issue by including:

• 10uf electrolytic caps on the power rails
    *100nf ceramic cap from pin 4 to ground
    *changed the 10k resistor from pin 4 to ground to 56k (a la the datasheet)
    *added a 100nf cap from pin 14 to ground - don’t ask me why

I also added a 1M resistor across legs 4 and 5 (something about hysteresis, means nothing to me) and it helped, but also reduced the pulse width pot to doing its full sweep in about 10 degrees of rotation. I cba to rectify that and it didn’t seem to make a huge difference, so away with it.

Thanks for the help everyone, I just want to rack this thing and play with it now, but alas it’s 2am on a Monday

3 Likes

This is a mistake in Sam’s original simple 1V/oct oscillator design. He knows of this. Caustic probably copied over the mistake.
I use 2 series resistors here, to both pull down and make a voltage divider, to get 10V into the op-amp buffer instead of 12V. I don’t remember what values I used, but I choose them to be in between the CEM and AS specs. Double function, pull down and drop down :slight_smile:

4 Likes

hey, great circuit! do you have a schematic for it? Just curious about the electricity flow

2 Likes

nope!‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

1 Like

A 10M resistor between pins 4 and 5 reportedly eliminates the glitches at the end of the pulse wave. See discussion:

It’s present as of rev. 2.2 in the Kassutronics design. T. Henry’s VCO Maximus has a 1M resistor between those pins.

3 Likes

reviving this thread to ask where to put another trimpot if I wanted to hone in the tuning a little more.

right now I can only get it to track for about an octave and a half which is still very likely something I’m doing wrong.

otherwise it sounds very badass and satisfies my need to have something plugged into sync, PWM, and FM at all times!

1 Like

Which design are you using? 1.5 octave range sounds really low for the 3340. You should be able to get 5

3 Likes

I’m using Caustic’s design, direct from the stripboard diagram at the top of this post. my only alteration is using a polystyrene cap for pins 11 and 12 to follow the recommendations of other designs.

to tune it I set the coarse knob to 12 o’clock, took my 0 coast and compared the tuning of C up and down a few octaves, using the trimpot in the back* to match where middle C is.

*I used a regular 10k pot here instead of a trimpot cuz I don’t have any single turns. I do have a bunch of multi turn trimpots though if I can drop those in anywhere to improve tuning.

1 Like

I would change to multi turn. Adding the HF trimmer setup would help. It comes off pin 7 in the datasheet

5 Likes

See the datasheet. There should be a connection from pin 7 to a trimmer (say 20k) wired as an attenuator, to a 1M resistor, to pin 15. That’s the high frequency trim.

Even without that 1.5 octaves sounds low, but you won’t get the full range without the HFT.

And yes, use multi turn trim pots.

5 Likes

Also see this for tuning procedure

3 Likes