Arduino overvoltage

Hello

Having just fried an arduino nano clone, I’m moving forward cautiously by making a list of things to check/ avoid next time.

I’m running the nano off a synth power supply and my 12V rail is reading slightly over 12V. Is there tolerance for this or if 12V is the max specified input voltage should i see this as a hard limit? I can add a regulator before the input if it’s likely to be an issue.

I don’t think that was what caused the issue I just want to eliminate as many possibly ways to damage before I laboriously unsolder and resolder my nano…

Chris x

Depends on what Nano you have, and how much power you pull through the onboard regulator:

The 1117 regulators on the common Nanos can handle 15 V, but there’s usually room for “slightly over” even for the “absolute maximum” specs (if they meant 15 V exactly, they’d written 15.0 V).

3 Likes

Thanks for this, very useful. I’m pretty sure I accidentally shorted an output pin to ground so I don’t think it was the input voltage that was the issue, but I’m trying ti rule things out before I have another go.

1 Like