Analog Switch to pass sound from VCO

HI guys I’m designing a module on which I use a rotary switch to select the waveform I want to output (so only one waveform at a time can be selected :slight_smile: )

And I was wondering if I could achieve that by the following schema I drew? Do you think that could work? I never worked with analog switch so if anyone can help me out that would be awesome! Not sure if these componants change the input signal or if they just act like real switches :grin:

Knowing that when I select a waveform on the rotary switch it sends a +5V signal into the targetted analog switch.

Why I want to do that? To reduce noise and experimenting :sweat_smile:

I’m confused, if you have a rotary switch, why not just use that?

Well, I thought doing that to reduce the amount of noise since I would no longer have wire carrying the sound from the board to the pannel. It’s just to cancel noise but I’m not sure if that will be noticeable.

OK, might be worthwhile, can’t hurt to try it. The idea looks sound, except the DG441 switches are normally closed, you’d want the DG442 which is normally open. Or actually the ADG442 which replaces it. On resistance is 40Ω typical, 70Ω maximum at 25°C.

(Thanks for asking… I have a design I’m working on that had DG412 and now I know (1) ADG412 is the newer version and (2) ADG442 doesn’t have as good specs but is probably good enough and a LOT cheaper!)

2 Likes

That was my first thought…

Wouldn’t 4016 or 4066 be good enough for this job as it seems most major synth manufacturers used them since the 80’s. As long as your signal is unipolar and not bipolar it wouldn’t be an issue.

That’s the question… The Kosmo Specification says “-5V to +5V typical” even though the 1222 puts out the 3340’s 0 to x volt signals (where x is 4, 8, or 10.5) unaltered. The Kassutronics VCO 3340 scales and offsets them to zero centered 10 Vpp outputs, as does the T. Henry VCO Maximus, and the MFOS VCO has similar outputs. So it depends on what you use.

You’re both right… And each circumstance needs to be considered for every possible connection or just isolated.
Which is why in 1967 the Vactec company produced the first cheap RO (resistive opto-isolator) which they called the Vacterol.
Please don’t look for the original Vacterols anywhere as they are wildly carcinogenic, cadmium death components but now we can plug in a well protected output into a properly isolated input an just see what happens without too much carnage.

I would venture that a break before make rotary switch would not generate much noise. That or some mixing/selectional summing setup maybe? Keep us appraised of your experiments.

Well I’m glad I helped you! And thanks for the tips I didn’t know that, if that works I’ll let you know :smile:

1 Like