AAAPPPCCC U1 IC burning

Just finished my AAAPPPCCC and plugged it in and the first IC socket is burning up. The 3rd and 4th pins on the left side seem to be the ones to be burning. I’ve checked all the components to make sure they’re in the orientation of which they are. I’ve ordered a new IC socket to see if it’ll make a difference but I would appreciate some help to find out what the problem is. Thanks, Liam.

1 Like

Could you grab a couple photo’s of the whole board and the suspect IC?
Would help with debugging =)

Is there any chance some excess solder has flowed through and created a short? Is everything the right value? Not missed any solder points?

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum =D just saw its your first post.

2 Likes

I’ve taken the IC socket out now but you can still see burn marks, I couldn’t see any solder points I missed or bridged solder points. Whilst taking the socket out it broke up as well so I can’t really get a picture of that.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

You say “socket” but the other ICs appear to have been soldered directly without sockets.

Are you referring to a socket

or an IC?

3 Likes

The ic there wasn’t sockets on the parts list so I didn’t think they were needed. So does each ic need a socket?

1 Like

Sockets are optional, and you’ve just discovered why people like to use them!

7 Likes

You need quite a bit of power to get a burn like that. What voltage did you apply to the circuit / how did you power it?

3 Likes

oof

2 Likes

I only put 12v I to it as it said 9-12v

1 Like

I take it this was 12 V DC / and are you sure it was not more ?

Yeah it was 100% 12v it’s the same one I use for my keyboard

with the same polarity plug ?

As in like as it dc? I think so yeah

Some DC power supplies are center positive and some are center negative. If it’s the wrong way around, it could explain the melted IC

3 Likes

The chip might have been defective, but it is also possible there is a short, either in your soldering or in the PCB (it’s rare but it can happen).
After cleaning up the board, but before soldering the new socket in (You will use sockets from now on, won’t you?) check for shorts from the pins of that chip to ground or to power or to other pins of the chip with a multi-meter. (Check with the continuity setting or measure resistance.)

Yeah could do how do you check which way round it is?

Yeah I’ll order some sockets and check grounds I’ve still gotta clean up the solder that’s left over and then I’ll check it with the multimeter

1 Like

With a multimeter. Whatever way round doesn’t display a negative voltage. There will also be an icon on the supply indicating which way it is.

2 Likes