123ADC module project

There’s a DAC counterpart? Excellent! I was thinking it’d be interesting to take a CV, digitize it, and then take the bits and covert back to analog but scramble the bits between the ADC and the DAC, you’d get some bizarre mapping between voltage in and voltage out…

3 Likes

call me dumb but…

I watched both videos a couple times and am having a hard time grasping how it patches up lol.

So, beatstep pro’s clock into the clock, plug a CV source in.

But what are all the Bits? are they OUT’s or IN’s? lol

In the video @lookmumnocomputer was plugging drums into them and that’s what confused the shit out of me, I figured those would be outs and the CV was the signal in, but then he started getting different sounds as he was plugging more into the different bits.

Are the Bits CV OUT signals going into the drums?

And that leads me to - was it individual channels or drums on mix out?

Where is the OUT of the whole thing?

The whole thing has me confused I guess.
I mean, i’m semi newer to this whole thing lol.

hey! so the clock input is the resolution of the whole thing. so ideally for something like a 16 step sequence, plug it into something that sends out one pulse on every step. as for the bits they are outputs and they are just acting as gates. so they can either trigger drums or open VCA’s or something! hope that makes sense. ill definitely be covering it more when I get further on that module! been sorting out some problems with the midi to cv this evening and im about to hit the delay again, and ill hit that 123ADC up very soon :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes! that explained it for me, lol - I didnt realize they were basically gates out.
I get confuzzled with wording sometimes, someone says plug in drums i think, oh… its an input LOL…

1 Like

My take on the 123ADC Panel :slight_smile:

Hopefully gonna finish the board for it tomorrow!

5 Likes

I know this is a reply to an old segment of this thread, but wanted to throw in that you can buy the ADC0820CCN+ directly from a manufacturer in the US, if u like: https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/analog/data-converters/analog-to-digital-converters/ADC0820.html/tb_tab3

1 Like

Having added that, I suggest Digikey or similar. I clicked through the shopping cart and the calculated shipping was $35!!!

2 Likes

Hey did you ever finish the board for this and if so do you have any detailed pictures of your wiring. I tried putting it together myself and clearly did something wrong as nothing lights up.

3 Likes

i could never get it to work :frowning:
it was a huge bit of work too and it just wouldnt turn on lol
I was considering making a board of it if @lookmumnocomputer doesnt mind

1 Like

Damn, yeah this one is really confusing. So much damn wiring. A board would be lovely. I’ve got a few questions though. I’m relatively new to all this. Only took the dive into building very recently. Specific to this layout I’m not sure what resistors you’re supposed to use on R8 and R1 of the layout. They are the only ones without a value. Also, do you connect the resistor to the positive end of the LED? I’ve also got a general question that may seem very simple but I don’t know which legs on the jack socket I’m supposed to be wiring things to. Honestly no idea what each one does. I’ve been watching the videos to try and determine on a case-by-case basis but that isn’t working well.

Either actually works since it’s for limiting current, not voltage.

Depends on your sockets. They are usually described as “TS” or “TRS” for tip/sleeve and tip/ring/sleeve. It gets confusing when they also add switch pins. These are internally connected to its corresponding pin until you insert a jack. These are also called “normaled”and usually labeled as such “TN” for tip normaled. You can look at the data sheet or you can just look down in there and kind of figure it out.

2 Likes

I’m using the same kind as Sam which is how I’ve been managing to wing it so far. How would I know which leg corresponds with which wire on the stripboard layout?

1 Like

Ah. Sleeve on left, which should be connected to ground. And tip on the right.

Presumably just like all the other LED resistors, they’re 1k. But it’s not too critical as long as it’s not too small, you could probably use 500R or 2k and it’d still work, it’d just change the brightness of the LEDs. Anyway, just use 1k if you have it.

Yes, and the negative end of the LED goes to ground.

1 Like

Fantastic! thank you. Is this like pretty standard, if I were to be reading another layout would it all corespond to the same thing?

Ok great, seems I got all that right. Gonna be redoing the wiring though.

If you mean these:

then there’s a beveled corner and the terminal at that corner is ground. Then tip is the 2nd one counterclockwise from there (viewed from the back looking at the terminals).

1 Like

Fantastic! Visuals are very helpful for me. This is very usaefull info going forward for literally everything I build.

1 Like

One more question as I noticed something. Legs 8 and 13 on the ADC chip would appear to still be connected on the stripboard layout. Is that correct?

Yes, both connect to ground so they can connect to one another.