1183 Burning Up

Ive assembled my 1183, gone to power it up and FB2 which is a 10r resistor has started burning. Each time i place a new one in it does the same thing. I have connected other modules to my power supply and theyre all fine?

Welcome to the forum. Start here:

3 Likes

These FB1 and FB2 10r are connected to the +12v and -12v lines. If one is burning you have a short-circuit or maybe a diode in the wrong way round.

Not my wisdom btw, i made the same mistake and got this advise on the forum :laughing:

4 Likes

The blame lies with the module, not the power supply. First thing I would do is remove any socketed chips and test the power rails for short to ground. If there is no short then reinsert each chip one by and test again. Maybe you will find a chip that is faulty or was inserted the wrong way.

But check all important component orientation and also for shorts on the board. Check the electrolytic caps and diodes orientations.

2 Likes

Defo a short. 1st port of call is the power header and then move on like craig says.

One of mine ended up being a dead short on a 100nf disc capacitor, that was a pain to find.

Managed to fix the burning, the main board will now power up nicely. However when i plug in the daughter board, the same resistor starts to burn up

Did you go through the steps in General advice for troubleshooting a module and asking for help (initially with power off) with daughterboard plugged in?

Yes, i had checked everything i could with the power off, i haven’t powered it on with the daughter board attached as it will burn up!