1161 buffered multiples led

I don’t have a bipolar LED at the moment, Can I temporarily leave it out?Or Maybe use a red led?

3 Likes

I may be wrong but could you use two?

1 Like

Should be able to use two (different colors, antiparallel), one, or zero just fine.

4 Likes

I think I built mine with a standard LED by Mistake, it makes no difference to the overall Audio functionality.

2 Likes

Thank you, then I’ll try that

I’ve accidentally bought 3-pin bi coloured leds even though the pcb only takes 2-pin. Is there a way to wire these up and have it still work but must it be only 2 pins?

1 Like

I think you can just cut the 3rd leg, but these leds can be useful for other modules (for positive and negative indication for example), personally I would keep them and order standard ones.

2 Likes

i will order the standard ones at some-point, just issue of having the money at the moment as im trying to balance school out and what not so Im just trying to deal with what I have on hand. Thanks for the help @Dud :slight_smile:. I assume there is no way to wire all 3 pins up to make it function like a 2-pin bi colour? I guess that’s why they make both variants for a reason lol.

Oh well, stupid me for not double checking the stuff im ordering, I had a tayda list for about 6 modules at a time so it was tricky to keep track and a few errors slipped through.

1 Like

I think you can just connect the two outer legs together and then put it in the circuit that way. The two outer legs together on one end, the single middle leg on the other end. Just test it on breadboard :slight_smile:

No stop! That was stupid! Just only use the outer two legs! And ignore the middle, just as dud said xD

2 Likes

That’s fine lol, im at school at the moment anyway so i wont be able to test until i get home, im just getting ideas together and writing them down for how im supposed to get this to all work with my mish-mash of parts

I would have rather kept the cathode (-) and one of the anodes green or red (+)

2 Likes

Yeah, if you want a normal Led that’s fine, but if you want a dual color one with only two legs you need to cut the middle leg, I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess i could always give it a poke with a multimeter in continuity mode, that usually makes leds light up, ill just put both probes on the outer legs of the led and see what happens when i swap the probes. Usually they glow dimly so hopefully i wont blow anything up, thanks both for your help. I should have the main bass voice done by this Christmas now that ive figured this module out fingers crossed lol.

2 Likes

I see it like 2 leds in one boxe, so i find strange to don’t use the common cathode, but maybe I don’t understand something

Thats how i saw the 2-pin ones, one “offset” by 180’ so when the current flowed backwards it would light up the other, this is how i was hoping to set up the 3 pin one but its all a bit weird…

here’s a schem of a bi polar led for + and - indication (from Sloth Chaos LNC)

one led is reversed for that (not in the schem above … ?)

sloth chaos

yeah, thats the two pin one i was saying about, i believe thats the type for the module but the one i have is the one that @sebastian mentioned.

1 Like

No, the two LEDs in a 3-lead package are cathode-to-cathode, if you cut the middle lead you end up with two LEDs in series back to back and neither one will light. In the two-lead package they’re cathode-to-anode, in parallel back to back.

Of course you could just use two individual LEDs in parallel. But you’d need two panel holes.

5 Likes

…can i sit one led underneath the other and have it shine through?..some weird led piggy back lol

The last thing i want is to start drilling into Sam’s lovely panels. Ive scratched one on accident already and cant go through the torment again!

1 Like

Big blob of hot glue in the back of the panel hole and shove the leds in at an angle?

2 Likes