Vactrol vc panner

a simple conception of a vc panner but really efficient and funny circuit for create stereo effects !!

This is a design from juanito Moore (I think you noticed… :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have build two of them on same panel for using with my Drums rack.

11 Likes

Vc panners are great, underrated IMHO!

3 Likes

Thanks ! seems cool, i put it in my “folder of maybe futur module” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, that means we will be seeing a video of it next week?

5 Likes

:rofl:
but it is true that the desire for construction is increasing day by day !

7 Likes

So if CV is buffered and kixed etc
If result =gnd, then both LEDs are equally powered and. Mix is centre.
As it rises, the upper LED becomes less powered and the lower kne becomes more powered.
As it lowers, thr opposite.

So i get the basic operation and frankly, what a cracker of a simple circuit.

But is it possibly very non linear and so in reality it works best just as L:C:R controllable switch?

Or to put it another way, if you feed it a triangle LFO does it pan smoothly L R LR or hang out at one end doing sweetFA before rushing across to the other side?

2 Likes

Look for Lightspeed Attenuator! Vactrols, or at least the Silonex NSL-32R2, have been popular in attenuators and volume controls in amplifiers. There should be articles giving many hints of good component values, like this one: DIY “Lightspeed” Passive LDR Attenuator

2 Likes

im don’t get the circuit.
how the left part (until the 1M pot and diods) is continuing to the right part?

why thos leds are circled together with resistors? is it a component which im not aware of? :stuck_out_tongue: a led-pot?

noob here, sry :smiley:

edit: they are LDR, right??

bytheway panning is incredible. once you try you cannot make music without it… i guess with quadriphonic would be even more incredible but you need the space and the devices

https://www.electroschematics.com/vactrol-a-lazy-walk/

2 Likes