Need help for a CV controlled PAN

Hello,
I’m still working on my DIY module and i would like to have a Mono to Stereo with a Pan potentiometer and CV.
I added a picture of my last try, i’m waiting for dual potentiometers and vactrols so i can’t test this schematic on breadboard. I’m a newbie and i learn designing and fryin chips on breadboards usually.
If you can, check the schematics and tell me where i’m wrong or where i can simplify the circuit.
If someone with more knowledge than me and with a little of time could help me, it will be really appreciated. (Searching passionate people to collaborate on the project :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Tagging @fredrik, @Dud and @antoine.pasde2 for this. If you want a much simplified ATTiny version, you can use this:

If you wanted to add a manual pot option you could put the wiper on the switched side of the CV in jack, setting it up as a voltage divider with the pot resister poles going to +5/Gnd.
4 Likes

Nice project!
But I would like to stay analog for my project.
Maybe I’m just tired but i didn’t understand what you are suggesting for the potentiometer. I will check tomorrow.
Thank you!

1 Like

Maybe you’ve seen this already but there’s some discussion of a vactrol based panner here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-17019.html
in case that’s of any interest

3 Likes

The signal path on that is still all analog, but I can understand not wanting to work outside of the analog domain. This is Look Mum NO Computer after all. I think-and I’m not positive but I can’t think of any other way it would work-that poly synths going back to the CS-80 and Prophet V use digital pots in order to be able to store patches.

1 Like

I also wondered about a cv pan and also a cv crossfade…kind of the same thing now that I think about it

Edit/ just read that page @analogoutput very nice! Thanks

2 Likes

maybe this spark some ideas ? that is not the exact link I could not get it to work , there is also more information about the auto panner on the MFOS site https://shop.musicfromouterspace.com/cart/MFOS%20Stereo%20Auto%20Panner%20Synth%20Module%20Bare%20PCB

1 Like

The MFOS site is structured oddly (and archaically) using frames, to share a page you have to use the green button
The auto panner page is here:
http://musicfromouterspace.com/index.php?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&PROJARG=STEREOPANNER/STEREOPANNER.html&CATPARTNO=PCBMFSTEREOPAN&PN=1&SONGID=NONE
but it’s not a CV controlled pan, it’s a rotor simulator. Might have something of interest though.

2 Likes

yeah I knew there was something to that page thing it seems a bit quirky , thanks for pointing me in the right direction . figured there could be something that maybe useful in that circuit .

1 Like

It’s not a CV controlled pan, but it has a CV controlled panner based on an LM13700 (the U6/U4/U5 path). You’d have to redo the control circuitry, though, which isn’t exactly a beginner task.

Yves Usson has a more straight-forward LM13700 panner here, but that too is part of a larger module.

(Your fixed link didn’t work on mobile, btw)

2 Likes

This is the second time this month I see people using an LM386 as an input stage instead of the low-impedance output amplifier it is designed to be. I guess it works, otherwise you’d noticed :grinning: but still feels a bit “wrong”.

4 Likes

Thank you all.
The Yusynth project is something like what i would like to do, i will study it more.
But i don’t know how to modify it to my needs at the moment.
The other option i have is to pay someone to design the circuit as i would like to make some kits and sell it. Do you know where i can find this kind of service and how much it will cost?

1 Like

The site barely works on mobile. Like I said, odd and archaic.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd site. It seems to be all about the content.

3 Likes

Well, the site design hasn’t been updated much since 2011 (and of course almost nothing’s been changed since Wilson’s death in I believe 2016). Though even for 2011 it was kind of anachronistic. It dates from a time when designing websites for mobile was not exactly high priority.

You can just say to hell with the nested frames and link to the frame URL:
http://musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/STEREOPANNER/STEREOPANNER.html

5 Likes

Frames were horrible even in 1997. It’s such a shame that there is still excellent content hidden behind badly designed web interfaces.

4 Likes

Hey @Mechamilk - did you ever make this? Looks fun.

1 Like

Hey that’s funny. Just found this thread, but also just finished a module like this. I used an A3360 and some opamp math instead of vactrols. Managed to fit two CV crossfaders/panners and two internal LFOs in a 10cm panel.

2 Likes

Not yet lol… I’m finishing another project right now. I will maybe post the result.

2 Likes

I’m interested in your approach. Can you share more information about it?